PDA

View Full Version : 458 Win Mag problem.

Baryngyl
03-02-2011, 05:15 AM
I got a 110E in 30-06 from a pawn store a year or so ago.

I have wanted a 458 Win Mag for years and years, so I bought the parts needed to convert it: Barrel, bolt head and Magnum Magazine and follower.
I got everything switched over, it fires fines, but it only wants to feed the first shell from the magazine every time, the second shell will feed about 1/4 the time, the 3rd shell never feeds at all it tips way down at the front and hangs up on the forward edge of the mag/cutout.

I got a sale flyer from midwayusa.com showing http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=476779 "Savage Arms Magazine Box 458 Winchester Magnum Stainless Steel" on sale so I ordered it, when I got it I found that neither of my magazine followers (30-06 / Magnum) would fit in it as they were both to wide.

So I went back to midwayusa.com and searched for "458 Win Mag follower" and found and ordered: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=779347 "Savage Arms Magazine Follower Assembly 458 Winchester Magnum", when I got it, it is the same as the two I already have, it is to wide to fit into the "Savage Arms Magazine Box 458 Winchester Magnum Stainless Steel".

When I wrote and told midwayusa.com this was thier reply
"Dear Michael,

Thank you for the email concerning your recent order. I apologize that you the followers you purchased do not seem to fit properly. Unfortunately, we do not have enough technical information available to answer your questions. I highly suggest that you contact Savage directly so their techs can point you to the right item. Here is their phone number: 413-568-7001.We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. "

Any ideas?

Michael Grace

tammons
03-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I had a 458 WM barrel set up on a long action with a 300 WM magazine and it fed 458 wm fine but its an old magazine.

It also feeds mostly anything alse, IE 30-06 etc.

I also have a 30-06 magazine and maybe you have the wrong follower.

The 30-06 follower has a thin coil spring on it.
It probably would not have enough spring pressure, to push the
magnum bottom shells up. Never have tried it with magnum shells.

The magnum follower, is a leaf spring shaped like a W.

Midway will take anything back if you have the wrong follower.

sha-ul
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Reckon one part or the other was mis-marked?

sharpshooter
03-03-2011, 02:54 AM
There is no dedicated follower for the .458 Win. mag box. The factory used modified followers. Just taper down the one you have.

thomae
06-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Not trying to hijack your thread...and I don't have the answer you want to your question about the follower, but I do have a different question.
Baryngyl, did you install any cross bolts? If not, did you do anything special to distribute the magnum recoil load on the stock?
Just wondering as I am considering a similar build.
Thanks,
Thomae

tammons
06-17-2011, 11:43 PM
A factory duramax stock can take the recoil.
At least it did in my rifle.
I imagine a chote would too.

bootsmcguire
06-17-2011, 11:51 PM
My factory tupperware seems to be taking it just fine. I am going to upgrade (probably a Duramaxx) but for now the factory fodder is hold up just fine.

Baryngyl
06-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Baryngyl, did you install any cross bolts? If not, did you do anything special to distribute the magnum recoil load on the stock?
Just wondering as I am considering a similar build.
Thanks,
Thomae

So far I have not done anything special to it to distribute the recoil load.
I have only fired it 3 times so far, waiting till I get the feeding problem fixed then I will see about some sort of bedding or cross bolts or something.
Maybe just get a good synthetic stock of some sort for it.

Michael Grace

tammons
06-18-2011, 02:11 PM
About 30-40 shells through mine in a Duramax stock at 10# rifle weight.

Added about 1# of weight to the stock.
Pretty comfortable to shoot.

I ran 20 hot rounds through it in one go.
10 300 grainers followed by 10 600 grainers all full tilt loads.

Very stout recoil, but I was not sore at all, and I attribute that to the stock.

thomae
06-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for your responses guys.
Appreciate your experience and opinions.
Cheers,
Thomae