PDA

View Full Version : Help insulating bluing against wrenches when swapping.

redie fredie
10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Looking for successful tips to keep the bluing intact and action straight when swapping barrels. Going to be using Wheeler Action and Barrel Nut Wrench. ???
What do you protect the bluing with?
Tips to keep from twisting action or other tech. stuff??

sinman
10-20-2009, 06:30 PM
masking tape, and masking tape the barrel if you care about scratches on the barrel.

groupshooter22
10-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Layer of duct tape on the contact areas of the action wrench and I wrap an old peice of tshirt around the barrel and run the nut wrench up the barrel. Dont think you would have to do anything for the nut as the teeth fit good on mine anyway.

Eric in NC
10-20-2009, 07:41 PM
I use shims made out of coke or beer cans - the wrench shouldn't slip so it SHOULDN'T be a problem (but the shims are there to make sure...)

cowboyarcher
10-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a piece of leather in my action wrench, and use a t-shirt as described before for the barrel.

pdog06
10-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Layer of duct tape on the contact areas of the action wrench and I wrap an old peice of tshirt around the barrel and run the nut wrench up the barrel.

I do the same thing for the barrel, but use painters masking tape around the action before installing the action wrench, so it doesnt leave the sticky residue on the action from the tape.

BobT
10-21-2009, 02:29 AM
I have a piece of leather in my action wrench, and use a t-shirt as described before for the barrel.

I also use a piece of leather, 2-3-oz. vegtan in the action wrench. I don't use anything on the barrel, I'm just really careful to try to keep the barrel nut wrench off the barrel.

Bob

redie fredie
10-21-2009, 06:37 PM
all great tips thanks!