PDA

View Full Version : Factory Savage Barrel Profiles?

ergceo
02-27-2011, 05:01 PM
I am wanting to call Effie and get a custom Savage build on the way. Can anyone tell me what profiles Savage offers from the factory for centerfire rifles? From their website it looks safe to say that they offer Sporter, Medium contour and Heavy contour. But do they offer others? And what contour numbers coincide with the contours I state above?

Thanks in advance.

Doug in MO

sinman
02-27-2011, 05:45 PM
If you want to replace a barrel with a factory contour just tell them what one you want. You can get savage replacements in any contour just not from everyone.

82boy
02-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Savage offers what they put on other rifles.
They offer a sporter, One for standard calibers and one for the magnum guns.
Something in the middle on the 10PC and predator.
A varmint profile.
And the target action guns have a heavier profile.

The some are blued, some are parkerised, and some are stainless. Some are fluted, some are not, and some have a muzzle break, and some are threaded.

On contour numbers you can not go by that because each company's numbers are different. for example a #7 Shillen contour is different than a #7 Krieger contour. Most aftermarket barrel makers offere a contour similar to the Savage factory countours, but they all call them different.

ergceo
02-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking I want something heavier than a standard sporter but not as heavy as the 10PC barrel. Any thoughts?

Armed in Utah
02-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Build a barrel.........

sinman
02-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Magnum contour

kohler
03-18-2011, 05:13 PM
For me the custom shop is building a stainless 24" barrel tapering to 0.700" at the muzzle which is bigger than the sporter barrel 0.585" diam. on my Model 14 American Classic.

Appleseed
03-19-2011, 02:57 PM
sinman has built two magnum contours for me, one 20", the other 24." While there is a weight difference going up to the 26" varmint contour, I couldn't tell a whole lot while carring either around. Shorter length lets it handle faster imo. I have been satisfied with both barrels!

The current sinarms barrel on order is #2. It will be a carry rifle on a cz switch-barrel action. Look for the pics soon...on this site?