PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Savage 29 Loose Barrel

Jampard
02-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I have a rifle marked Premier Trailblazer with an octagon barrel.
I think it was made by Stevens or Savage.
It looks like a Savage model 29 .22 S/L/LR rifle.

The barrel seems to be a little loose in the receiver.
It looks like it kind of pivots around the barrel pin that goes through the receiver.

Is there some way to tighten this up?
In some other threads, I saw comments about a barrel nut.
Does this model have a barrel nut that could have become loose?
If so, can I tighten up this nut without taking out the barrel pin?

Would it be safe to shoot this rifle with this looseness?

Any help and/or advice would be appreciated.

Rifleman51
03-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Don't shoot it if it's loose, have it checked by a good gunsmith. If the barrel is loose, it's unsafe to shoot.
Once tightened, the Head Space will need to be checked anyway.

I don't think that model has a barrel nut, but could be wrong. If it's loose on a pin, a larger diameter pin could be put in or some careful tig welding done depending on what it looks like to the Smith.

John K

Jampard
03-06-2011, 12:47 PM
After closer examination, I think that I can answer my own question.

It appears that the barrel to receiver is a slip fit, and the barrel is held in and kept from turning by the barrel pin.

It looks like I will have to have a "gunsmith" shim the barrel to receiver joint, or to deform part of the receiver to prevent the barrel movement.

This looks like a very bad (cheap) design obviously.

Other than this problem, it seems like a very nice rifle.

I've got another one that is similar to it with a round barrel. It has the brand "Ranger" stamped on the receiver. I think this might have been sold by Sears or Montgomery Ward. This one is a little strange because it has nice bluing on all parts except for the receiver. The receiver is what appears to be "bare metal".

1SHOT1KILL
03-07-2011, 05:22 PM
I have a Savage model 29B, 22LR pump, that had a loose fitting barrel. I tore it down to reblue a few years ago and when I put it back together, the barrel was loose fitting. I thought that this would happen, because there was soemthype of hard clear substance in the barrel recess area, maybe epoxy, that seem to keep the looseness to a minimum. To cure this problem, I redrilled the whole in the receiver (with barrel out) and installed a larger diameter barrel pin. Probelm solved. As a gunsmtih, this was a pretty simple fix. I wish I could remember what size drill and pin I used, but I don't remember for sure. It seems to me I used a 30 or 31 drill bit and used an old drill bit the same size that I cut as the pin.