PDA

View Full Version : new barrel procedure

rcreel
10-20-2009, 02:46 PM
If I wanted to buy lets say a Krieger or Bartlein barrel for my savage what would be the steps I would have to go through. I know buy the barrel but are they reamed for the specific caliber and what about having one fitted for a savage. Would it be worth the trouble.
Thanks

pdog06
10-20-2009, 03:12 PM
they will make it for your specs. Just figure out what caliber you want, and tell them what you want and for what action. Any of the barrel makers will make you one, and if ordered correctly it should be ready to screw on, headspace, and shoot..

No real trouble at all, it is basically what all of us do to have a custom barrel.

Eric in NC
10-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Any of the barrel makers will make you one, and if ordered correctly it should be ready to screw on, headspace, and shoot..

No - actually many of the high end barrel makers WON'T make pre-fit barrels. They will offer you a rifled blank and some of them will chamber and fit it to your action for a chunk of $ but a lot of the high end boys won't offer a "do it yourself" barrel.

dcloco
10-20-2009, 06:04 PM
You might be surprised......until you ask a barrel maker if they will. Just because it is not advertised, does not mean they don't sell them.

Which barrel maker won't make a prefit Savage barrel?

savageboy
10-20-2009, 06:06 PM
I just got a Kreiger gain twist 8.7" to 8.3" 28" finished length 1.250" for 5" then tapering to 1" at the muzzle. The guy I got it off of has won all kinds of records, etc. and wouldn't do a prefit. I understand his reasoning, his name is on this barrel and he cannot control the outcome if someone else headspaces it. Prior to this, I wouldn't have gone this route, I would have just got a prefit and been done and did it myself and saved a few bucks. I decided to go Nut-less, 6BRX freebored .112 for the VLD's. After my 1st year of learning F class, I wanted to pick up any accuracy,etc that I could so it was worth it to me. May not be for everyone, but that is why this is America!

Cycler
10-20-2009, 08:56 PM
I think Savage is an exception to makers not offering "prefit" barrels. Savage actions, with their barrel nut arrangement, can take completely finish chambered barrels which are headspaced by tightening them against a go-gauge as they are installed and then locked in place with the nut. The proper headspacing can be obtained with any compatible barrel and action pair.

Remington, Winchester, etc. barrels can not be reliably prefit since they tighten up against the face of the action and there is no way to adjust the headspacing except to finish the chambering after they are threaded into place.

pdog06
10-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Any of the barrel makers will make you one, and if ordered correctly it should be ready to screw on, headspace, and shoot..

No - actually many of the high end barrel makers WON'T make pre-fit barrels.

Ok, I stand corrected. Actually, I meant to say "most ", but it doesnt matter.

Most of them will make you one. The others for some reason still think you have to have a gunsmith headspace it for it to be accurate ::). But yet they will sell you a blank so you can chamber it, thread it, and fit it yourself.