PDA

View Full Version : Most Efficient Trimmer

petrey10
02-26-2011, 12:26 AM
I am in the market for a new case trimmer... I don't want to spend the money on a Giraud or Gracie ... I am kinda wanting something that trims, deburs, and chamfer all in one... I am confused on the RCBS 3 way cut bc I don't understand what trimmer you need with it...

are there any other trimmers out there that trim, debur, chamfer all in one?

If I go cheap I will prolly get either the lee or the possum hollow but you have to debur after you trim... slows the process down some...

mil-dot
02-26-2011, 05:48 AM
I used to run a RCBS Trim Mate, and had a Cutter rigged up on one of the stations. It took about 3-5 minutes per case. I just switched to a Gracie and now I only use the Trim Mate to clean primer pockets. Yeah a Gracie is expensive, but it is awesome!!!!

Jesse

laportecharlie
02-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Over the years I have had just about all of them: Dillon, RCBS, Gracey and I now have a Giraud. Next to the Giraud the Gracey looks like something someone cobbled together in their garage. Spend the extra money, you will never regret it.
Charlie

petrey10
02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
seeing how i don't have the money for the girard or gracie as i stated in my first post.... its not an option... i know its the best option but not feasible right now or ever... I only shoot 25-06 at this point

wch
02-26-2011, 11:46 AM
What about one of the Reddings?

xr650rRider
02-26-2011, 12:54 PM
... I am confused on the RCBS 3 way cut bc I don't understand what trimmer you need with it...

It is called the RCBS Trim Pro 3-way cutter, so you need the RCBS Trim Pro trimmer. A lot of people have trouble making them work. I've had 1 that was set perfectly out of the box and the rest needed some adjustment. Once setup correctly they work very well and I have never had to adjust them again. I have 5 different caliber heads.

Blue Avenger
02-26-2011, 06:21 PM
the 3 ways can be made to work. they can also be a little crude on the finished product.
Rcbs is faster with the quick change head.
Forester is more accurate. You can get power drive adapters that utilize drills or cordless screw drivers.

dcloco
02-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Possum Hollow (google it - Midway sells these as well).

...and an RCBS Trim Mate with a VLD or 40 degree inside neck chamfer and the standard RCBS outside neck chamfer.

kelbro
02-26-2011, 10:29 PM
I like the Possum Hollow trimmers. Quick and efficient enough to not worry about a couple of manual twists with a deburring tool.

dsculley
02-26-2011, 11:22 PM
I use the Lee trimmer. I chuck the shell holder into my portable drill, then use the drill to turn the shell against the trimmer. While the case is in the shell holder, I chamfer and debur. The process is fast and easy. If you want, you can polish the brass with a bit of Flitz on a cloth too.

Hammer
02-27-2011, 02:22 PM

Have tried most if not all the case trimmers including some custom-made one-of-a-kind ones.

The most efficient trimmer is a Giraud with someone else operating it.

If you can find one, a Miller case deburring/chamfering machine is neat too.

sinman
02-27-2011, 03:00 PM
The Giraud looks very nice. I think if I get some spare time I will make up one kind of like it. seems simple enough to do, especially if I can find a decent motor for cheap.

GaCop
02-28-2011, 09:00 AM
I've been using my Forster since 1968. I've replaced the cutter shaft five times in that time period. To this day, it still makes accurate square cuts. It's only down side is in standard configuartion it is incapable of trimming my .43 Mauser brass.

tdnichols
02-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I use a trimmate pro..I love it and don't have any complaints..again I can relate to the $$ situation. I got mine on ebay several years ago when they were a lot more shooter friendly. Anyway I stated with trim dies and a file but the trimmate pro does all I require. That may be what you shoudl ask instaed of what is best. Do you require the degree of trimming that the Gracie or Guiard provides.

petrey10
02-28-2011, 04:41 PM
no I do not require a TON of trimming... I just wish there were more options out there that did trimming, deburring, and chamfering all in one... now I am just confused on what I want/need....

Handloader
02-28-2011, 10:45 PM
I use the Hornady Case prep center with an RCBS three-way cutter. Works great if you seat the case all the way back into the shell-holder. It is faster than a hand trimmer, but still slower than your top dollar trimmers. If I was to do it all over...it would have been a Girard. Try trimming a few thousand 223 brass, and the Girard starts looking really nice.