PDA

View Full Version : modifying accustock

Tex_Hunter
02-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey everyone,
I've been lurking for the past few days and after some pretty exhaustive searching I've come up with nothing on this question. I dont own a savage but am looking to build a new hunting rig in 270WSM from a 16FCSS accustock and then at some point in the future getting a Shilen re-barrel in either varmint or bull contour and going all out on a precision long range rifle. Anyways, I read a lot on other sites about savage stocks or rather the lack thereof for the new centerfeed accustock rifles, coincidentally in my searching I came across a tactical build by a guy on another forum that involved some extensive modifications to a non accustock savage. That got me thinking, is there anyone lurking out there who has modified their accustock using some form of bondo/fiberglass/aramid/ or carbon fiber?
My goal with my upcoming rifle would be to dremel off the better part of the plastic forearm of the accustock ahead of the DBM leaving only a little bit of the plastic skeleton and the aluminum spine and then bonding on a polyurethane foam block and basically hand shaping it into a new forearm to more or less imitate an HS Precision or Mcmillan tactical forearm and maybe make the pistol grip a little wider and possibly a monte carlo cheek piece, then laying it up with some kevlar and carbon fiber, bondo... sand... paint... done. I know I could probably get a varmint or tactical wider forearm accustock but frankly, it bugs me that the shape is basically a sporter profile with big cheeks. I like the nice chunky vertical pistol grip of the HS and Mcmillan and I also like the hefty forearm which Savage Accustock, even the varminter and tactical ones, does not have. I know to use epoxy suitable for urethane foam, so thats not my question if it can be done, but more if anyone has some similar projects already done to start me in the right direction. So anyways, calling all frankenstocks, I want to see what can be done.

ellobo
02-25-2011, 08:50 PM
There was a recent post of a stock modified like you want. Click on the "2" to go back a few days postings and you will find it.
El Lobo

pdog06
02-25-2011, 09:00 PM
So anyways, calling all frankenstocks, I want to see what can be done.

Alot of guys on here have modified their stocks. Dont know of any who have done it with an accustock cause it is so new though, but it wouldnt be much different.

Toot hasnt been on this site for almost 2 years(May of '09), but we might have to bring him back for this thread. He could show you a ton of homeade jobs. Maybe search his previous posts and you may come up with something.

Also, to maybe give you some ideas heres a members thread on customizing a factory stock into a bench stock for his girlfriend. :

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,38981.0.html

pdog06
02-25-2011, 09:01 PM
There was a recent post of a stock modified like you want. Click on the "2" to go back a few days postings and you will find it.
El Lobo

I think you may be talkin about the one I just posted. I was typing it while you were posting...LOL

shooter98
02-26-2011, 01:00 PM
You can do the same thing I did here to an Accustock. I am currently working on a 17hmr with accustock and the process is identical.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,39988.0.html

Tex_Hunter
02-26-2011, 04:24 PM
shooter98,
Im really liking what you did on your stock, you have more pictures of the construction? Thats the second construction I've seen with a pistol grip and plywood, really nice fit and finish. If anything the accustock will make your project easier because you wont need the extra aluminum reinforcement you mentioned in your writeup. Im probably still leaning towards injecting some steroids into the factory grip as opposed to extensive surgery like your project, thinking like the HS Precision PST series style vertical and fat, but Im really liking the forearm on your project. Now just waiting until funds and wife give me a greenlight, it'll be a while but hopefully something to field for the upcoming whitetail season.

also Im really new to all this and also not very artistic so I apologize for sounding really dumb on this question, but how does one do the webbing on the stock like shown in the BR build in the link Pdog06 posted? My end goal is to have a rifle that more or less looks like a Remmy 700 Sendero SFII(black HS Precision with grey web) its not offered in 270 much less any of the WSM calibers and I fell in love with the 270WSM reading the ballistics for the high BC 150gr loads. Naturally being a tinkerer I see no reason to shell out nearly $500 for the HS stock, and I hate Remmy's...