PDA

View Full Version : Replacement stock for my Model 10

wch
02-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I bought a new Model 10 in 243 caliber that I am going to rebarrel to 6.5x47 Lapua and wish to replace the factory stock; I've read enough posts and examined enough options to have become really confused over which stock configuration I should buy.
I know the rifle is a short action, it has the hunter type accu-trigger, and has no bottom metal.
The action screws are about 41/2 inches apart, and the magazine box and follower stayed in the stock when I disassembled the rifle.
Suggestions?

wch
02-25-2011, 10:45 PM
I bought a new Savage Model 10 rifle which I plan to rebarrel from 243 to 6.5x47 Lapua.
I measured the distance between action bolts at approximately 4 1/2 inches.
When I removed the action from the factory stock, the magazine box and follower stayed in the stock.
I need some suggestions for a proper replacement stock, and a metal trigger guard.
Thanks.

GaCop
02-26-2011, 07:54 AM
You have a short action centerfeed. Screw spacing should be something like 4.40". Keep that spacing in mind when you order a short action stock. Your barrel is standard small shank. Get a good nut wrench, barrel or action vise and a GO headspace gauge and you'll be ready to change your barrel. Your current magazine should feed the 6.5 Lapua just fine.

What are your plans for the Lapua build? Will it be predominantly benchrest or a tactical setup? You stock choice will be dictated by what you plan on doing, more information is needed.

wch
02-26-2011, 11:44 AM
GACop,
First, thanks for the info!
I had kinda' come to that conclusion myself, but I really wanted some "independent verification".
I will be shooting from the bench, primarily, with a little PA groundhog hunting thrown in.
I have a Sendero contour McGowen barrel, and the last part is finding the right stock. I've looked B&C (5-8 week wait) and the Choate Tactical model, but if anyone wants to chime-in with other choices, well, I'm open.

Hawk45
02-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Decent Quality:
Choate - Readily available
B&C - Readily available

Better Quality:
Stockade - Order/wait

Best Quality:
McMillan - Order/wait
Manners - Order/wait

There are a few chasis systems (XLR??) out now too but I don't have any background on those. If you have the bucks, I'm sure they are quality setups as well. Just make sure if you want the best accuracy out of your gun/stock that you buy some Devcon from Enco and bed your action in whatever stock you go with. Even skim bed if they have some kind of v-block or other mounting block.

Cheers,
Hawk