PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 (4x4)

lonestardiver
02-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Well I just came across an interesting oddity at Cabelas....
I found a Model 12 (4X4) (etched on the bolt) in .204 ruger....
Same black tupperware stock as my 10fp in .308....same accutrigger, same bolt handle, etc.
Blackened bull barrel,no sights but a 20" barrel.
Didn't know much about it...but based on my prior Savages and the fact I was looking for a .204 it seemed to
fit the bill...beside it was a 12 longe range varmint rig...for $900 fluted SS laminated stock, etc..
Price on the 12 (4x4) was $449...so I figured what the heck...I can always get a better stock down the road.

My searches have not turned up much other than it was made about 1 year....based on the conversation with the guys in the
gun library (price was in red meaning it was below their margin so they couldn't budge on it) I jumped on it...put it in lay-a-way.

Anyone here have any knowledge of these ?
Now I need to figure out what scope to get for it...dies, brass, etc...

It is just like my 10 FP .308 just shorter...

northlander
02-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Savage has made several production runs of the Model 12 4X4 rifles for one of their distributors. The 4X4 Models are a regular Model 12 FV or FVSS but with a 20" Varmint Barrel. They are designed for the rear window rifle rack of a truck. I am sure that has a lot to do with the 4X4 markings. I have picked up several of the 4X4 rifles over the years. The distributor places them on sale once in a while and I buy them for the parts.

Jim Briggs
NSS

helotaxi
02-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Losing a good bit of velocity on a 20" .204.

placek59
02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
It's not as much velocity loss as you may think, and when you're in the neighborhood of 4000 fps, a hundred fps or two isn't much. This link from Bullberry shows even less than that (75 fps). http://www.bullberry.com/204Rugerdata.html

The .204 4x4 (and all of the 4x4's probably, I only have experience with the .204) seems to me, to be nearly twice as loud as a 26" barrel. It will have a very distinctive crack to it when you touch it off! It shoots great with 39g blitzkings, a Simmons Aetec on it, and it gets beat around in the truck alot ;D. They are a good rifle for their designed purpose, and if the price is right.... why not?

helotaxi
02-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I've seen that site before. Unfortunately without any information on the load used, it is impossible to draw any conclusions about his test. His results are only valid for that one load and he didn't tell us what that load is.

fatdaddy
02-26-2011, 07:37 PM
I had one in 223. It shot great and I loved it. I could not tell it gave up anything to the 26" barrels shooting side by side. On paper it is a bit slower, you will never convince the Pdog or yote it is lacking a thing. Bill