PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Savage Model 170 Cartridge Feed Problem

steelhead987
02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
I came into a Savage Model 170, Series B, 30-30 pump rifle for the right price. It was missing a few parts which I was able to replace. I fired the gun successfully at the range however there is something not right with the cartridge stop. In fact, it doesn't hold any cartridges in the tube. As soon as I attempt to push a shell in, the shell pops right back out. I'm not exactly sure if the cartridge stop is bent or is for a different model???? When the action is completely closed, the 'ear' (portion of the cartridge stop that is supposed to hold the cartridge) does not hold any shells in the cartridge tube. When the action is opened, the ear drops over the cartridge tube hole.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. I've included links to some photos:

http://i55.tinypic.com/1zezqt.jpg
Bolt Closed- Pump full forward as you can see the Stop isn't "stopping" anything at this point.
http://i51.tinypic.com/5efwg9.jpg
This is with the bolt open, pump pulled back towards the user, you can see the "stop has moved in front of the cartridge tube.
http://i56.tinypic.com/2q20ith.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2eeeufb.jpg
These last 2 are of the bolt closed.

should be able to just post that.

Mad Dog
02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Wow, a 170 in 30-30 with a feeding problem? :D

I used to have a 30-30 with the same damn problem, sold it and bought one in 35 Rem and never had a problem with it except for a buddy falling out of his treestand with it.

The guy I sold it to said it was an easy fix but never told me what was wrong with it, if I remember right he had to replace a $10 part. I could try to dig him up for you and see what it was.

steelhead987
02-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Mad Dog, thanks for the reply!!! I was loosing hope.

I've heard these things can be a P.I.T.A. with feeding. Any information you could dig up would be greatly appreciated. I love how this gun shoots but worst case it's a single shot. I do plan on taking a deer with it next season one way or another.

Any pictures of the one you currently have would be a great help to. I'm hoping its something simple because I've already put in about $100 in missing parts and shipping into the gun but did get it for free.

thanks again

Mad Dog
02-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Here's a pic of my 35 Rem 170, it's wearing a Savage 4X scope in the pic but I've changed it to a 2.5X Savage scope with post and crosshair recently. I'll send my buddy Dan an email and see what part it was he changed.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l583/Joe_Koprash/HPIM0345.jpg

steelhead987
02-26-2011, 09:16 AM
That would be great! Any way to get a pic of yours in the cartridge area? Maybe the feed systems are similar??? Your gun looks great. I just got done refinishing the wood on mine. Unfortunately one of the parts missing was the front wood. I ordered another but it's not the same wood and grain. I ended up refinishing both pieces however the wood just doesn't quite match.....but i don't think a deer will notice!!

Blue Avenger
02-26-2011, 10:35 AM
when you get it fixed up try some LEVERevolution in it. Mine shots under 1"@100.

Put a vintage weaver wide view on mine.

steelhead987
03-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Blue Avenger

What's LEVERevolution??? Never heard of it. Are you able to post a picture of you cartridge stop? I'm still trying to figure out what is wrong with mine. Thanks

sha-ul
03-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Blue Avenger

What's LEVERevolution??? Never heard of it. Are you able to post a picture of you cartridge stop? I'm still trying to figure out what is wrong with mine. Thanks

that is a new load from Hornady based upon a bullet designed with a polymer tip that gives it a Spitzer profile, that is aerodynamic, but will yield under recoil so it will not act as a firing pin in a tube magazine. Radically improves ballistics.

steelhead987
03-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I typed it into a search engine. Pretty neat looking bullet. Hopefully I'll be able to get this feed problem solved. Any chance to get a pic or two of your cartridge stop?

Mad Dog
03-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Aww crap, I forgot about the pic.

I got ahold of Dan and he said all he did to the gun was change the forearm, not sure what that has to do with a feeding problem?????

I'll get a pic of my internals for you tomorrow.

Blue Avenger
03-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Sorry it is about 89 miles away at this time. Friend borrowed it.

steelhead987
03-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Mad Dog, I agree, not really sure how changing the forearm will affect the feed issue??? Anyways, the gun came without one so it's brand new and still doesn't feed properly lol. Would really love to see those pics when you have a chance to get to it. Thanks

Blue Avenger, thanks anyways. Must be a good friend to let him borrow your rifle ha ha.

Mad Dog
03-07-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm lost.

I've got the gun in my hands right now. How did you get pics of it with the pump pulled back? It covers the lifter and the internals when it's pulled back. I can't see anything different in mine then in your pics but I don't see that ear drop over the cartridge tube like your is.

steelhead987
03-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Mad Dog,

When I took the pics, I didn't have the wood forestock attached. That would explain it ha ha. It would be great to see a pic of yours with the bolt closed. You certianly do not have to take yours apart for the pics. One of the bolt closed so I can see the cartridge stop 'ear' position would be great.

Thanks

Mad Dog
03-09-2011, 06:59 AM
Yep, I can do that.

DoeMaster
03-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Please tell me there is a solution to another Savage design nightmare- the 170 other than wrapping it around a tree. Mine has the same issues which are probably because they converted (o.k. attempted to convert) a pump shotgun to chamber 30/30 rounds.