PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Game Reaper + VX3 or Pro-Staff on 116 LA? Suggestions Please

Leon
02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Hey guys, I just purchased another (imagine that) Savage. An older 116 300Win Mag in unfired condition and aside from the barrel, I am changing everything. I got looking in the optics forums last night thinking I had a pretty good idea what I was doing as I have never had issues choosing optics before...........wow.......all the things I "thought" I knew. I feel like a total greenhorn again now lol (guess I am).

Anywho... What I have / Making

Savage 116 300 Win Mag

24" Barrel (Sporter looks like)

Non-Accutrigger / Replacing w/ Timney (or some other aftermarket trigger)

Factory Wood / Replacing w/ Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole (Long as it isn't center feed, pretty sure it isn't but have not checked)

Flat-Top on rear of receiver

and for the optics, what I am PLANNING for is:

Game Reaper (Deadnutz) 1pc lightweight Scope mounting fixture (I'm thinking Hi-set (44 or 50mm objective)

Leupold VX-3. 3.5-10x50 or 4-12x50 ( Might end up with a Pro-Staff on it for a while until funds allow for the VX-3)

What I am trying to do with this rifle:

This is being built as my "go to hunting rifle". If I am hunting deer in Virginia or Caribou / Sheep in Alaska. Basically it is to be a gun for everything short of the "Big 5" - I have other guns that fit all the "niches" but I felt the need for one very versitile rifle that I would probably carry more than any other. "The One" if you will.

I want it to be light weight, not SUPER light. (Yea, 300win + Light weight....I know) as It will be getting carried into the mountains......alot.

Now that you know the whole story, and since I don't know jack about optics mounts like I thought I did..... Do any of you "seasoned" optics people see anything majorly wrong with this setup? Previously I would just buy a good scope, some decent rings/mounts and sight in,practice and go hunting as my shots would rarely exceed 200yds.

Now with this "Any Range" rig (Realistically no more than 400yds right now, and after practice practice practice) I will have to learn new things such as adjusting scope for elevation and whatnot as I do not feel comfortable using my usual method of "scope is zeroed here, trajectory is this, I need to aim "X" inch lower than normal. It works great at closer range but for long range hunting I just don't feel its ethical, too much guess work and not a "sure kill" especially since I have not yet "become one" with this rifle.

When I looked into the optics forum I saw 0 moa and 20moa mounts discussed and everything in between........I'm lost, any suggestions would be helpful. Sorry it was so long winded, I just wanted to set the scene so I could give the best understanding and get the best information for what I am doing. This long-range hunting is going to be a new (hopefully lifelong) venture for me.

Oh and any reticle type recommendations ?

P.S. - Bet you've never seen so many quotes and parenthesis lol ()""

Thanks guys, Leon

johnnyrambo
02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have a 7mm WSM that wears "0" MOA Talley integrated mount/rings and a Burris FFII 4.5-14x42. The Burris scope has their Ballistic Plex reticle. With a 200 yard zero, my gun tracks very well with the published Burris "hold-over ticks" on the lower crosshair post. I highly doubt a precision target shooter would use the "holdover ticks" on the target range, but they are convenient for a hunter in the field. This setup gives me fairly accurate holdover points out to 600 yards without me being required to dial the scope. If I choose to dial, seems like I run out of scope MOA adjustment around 7-800 yards. That is where a "20" MOA base might come in handy. Essentially, a "+" value MOA mounting system adds extra holdover to your scope by allowing the scope to be zeroed at the very bottom of its elevation range, rather than centered in the elevation range. For my purposes, I'm happy out to 700 - 800 yards. Anything over that, I am required to estimate and employ manual holdover. But, I have no current intentions on taking shots on game beyond those distances.

I think some sort of a ballistic plex reticle is an excellent choice for a hunting gun. It allows for quick and accurate target acquisition if you know your range. As an example of what I'm talking about, this Burris link has the holdover corrections/ballistics for several popular calibers. http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BPlxlabl.pdf Yours may be different depending on what load you develop. With a little practice, I have found this system handy to use, accurate and repeatable. I would think Leupold would have a reticle similar to this, but I am not familiar with their current choices.

I do like your choice of Game Reaper mounts, too. I've installed them on 2 guns and they seem VERY solid. One gun even took a hunting spill and the scope maintained its zero.

Good luck!