PDA

View Full Version : new to switch barrels

Burnin-Powder
02-23-2011, 06:26 AM
What do i need to know before trying this? Will all models savage fit? I have a 110 in 270win. and i would just like to try this. I know to used a cartridge that is .473". Can i put a short cartridge like a 22-250 on my 110??Are the ER Shaw barrel kits any good? or should i just buy a barrel, a wrench,etc? Is the Stevens barrels i read about the same, do they work on a savage?

308garand
02-23-2011, 10:22 AM
What do i need to know before trying this? Will all models savage fit? Yes and no. You have a .270 so all standard shank barrels will fit your action. There is a large shank receiver and it is for your WSM calibers. I have a 110 in 270win. and i would just like to try this. I know to used a cartridge that is .473". Can i put a short cartridge like a 22-250 on my 110?? Yes, you can use a barrel from a short action on a long action receiver. I am fixing to build a .308 on a long action because I am setting the gun up to shoot 208gr bullets. I am having the throat of the barrel cut to accept a round with an OAL of around 3.00". That length will not fit the standard short action magazine, that is why I am going with a long action. You shouldn't have any problem going from the .270 to a 22-250. Are the ER Shaw barrel kits any good? or should i just buy a barrel, a wrench,etc? Is the Stevens barrels i read about the same, do they work on a savage? Yes Stevens barrels are the same as the Savage. The Stevens is nothing but an older pre-accutrigger Savage.

Ray Gunter
02-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Can i put a short cartridge like a 22-250 on my 110??
Yes a shorter cartridge will work. Some may have feeding issues from a magazine. A 22-250 should not be a problem.

Are the ER Shaw barrel kits any good? or should i just buy a barrel, a wrench,etc?
ER Shaw barrels are a fairly good barrel at a very reasonable price. Good bang for the buck.
All you will need is a barrel and the wrench and a headspacing guage. If the kit gives those three then your good to go.
One hurdle to get past is how to get the old barrel off. Factory installed barrels are very tight. I take my factory barrels to a gunsmith (they have a much better barrel vice than I have) and just get him to break it loose. After that I'm good to proceed on my own.

Is the Stevens barrels i read about the same, do they work on a savage?
yes Savage and Stevens will be the same. Barrels and nuts are interchangeable.

I see that 308 and I were both posting the reply at the same time. Looks like all your questions have been addressed. Good luck and if any issues arise the guys here can help

Burnin-Powder
02-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Thank you.