PDA

View Full Version : Most adjustable scope for the money

Pages : 1 [2]

quickkillaught6
03-23-2011, 08:47 PM
FOR cryin in the mud nota chance. I realize what you pointed out and after readin it it does sound that way... not intended brain went for a walk. What i really meant to try to spit out was, that yes 99.9% of the time you get what you pay for. Do some get lucky with less than par equipment heck yes they do. The comparison was implied to the pst vs a NF not the crossfire. For 199 bucks just hope that at full power... wait half power you can see through it at 100 yards. It was also to point out my frustrations with bushnell and their vertically challenged great for the money optics i learned to love to hate. sorry bout the disconnect

Cover Dog
03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
I confess my brain has done that a time or two.

Cover Dog

helotaxi
03-23-2011, 10:37 PM
The PST is less than half the price of a NightForce. I think you are referring to the Razor.

My take on optics and cost is that you very quickly hit the point of diminishing returns. The difference from a $100 scope to a $300 scope is huge. The difference from a $300 to $500 scope is not nearly as pronounced. The difference from $500 to $1000 is even less. The best glass made can be had for around $1k. Going higher than that either garners you a greater magnification, additional adjustment range or some additional features. The relative cost in this range for those features is really disproportional IMO.

quickkillaught6
03-24-2011, 06:33 PM
if my memory serves me right a pst ffp is $999.99 advertized so we'll say a grand so yeah bout 4hundred less than a NF giver take

helotaxi
03-24-2011, 09:54 PM
$900 on SWFA for the PST FFP 6-24. The 5-22 NFs on Midway are all over $1600 and you're still comparing apples and oranges since Nightforce scopes are all SFP. The SFP PST is $150 less than the FFP version so less than half of the price of a comparable Nightforce.

wrvet05
03-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Check out the line of Horus Optics the current unofficial world record holder used one of these scopes to put 10 rds in a 26 in group at 3000 yds. unbelievable show me a leopold do that.

helotaxi
03-25-2011, 11:24 PM
That was 90% shooter and 10% rifle. Scope nowhere in the equation. I've never heard anything good about Horus scopes other than their innovative reticules. The glass is widely accepted as sub-par within their price range.

quickkillaught6
03-26-2011, 04:41 PM
I like both apples and oranges ;D Im talking bang for buck and correct me if im wrong here but if i was gonna spend 900 bucks on a scope what the hells the difference of another 3 or 4 after all the reviews (not owned a pst) i wouldnt waste my money with them after a few years and someone blows one up with explosives and pulls it behind a 4 wheeler ok ill bite until then im sticking with what i know works. the only diff. between a sfp and ffp is the price you can do the same thing with most high end sfp scopes because at X power the sub-tensions are correct. My point is everyone has their own opinions apparently you just feel strongly about yours.
P.s after being on some of these forums you can find things cheaper i agree and am glad they do that for us.

range rat
03-27-2011, 08:39 AM
My favorite low dollar scope is the Weaver V24 8-24x42 AO. It's on my 100-300 yard match rifle. I'm constantly twisting the turrets and it always goes back to the same zero I gave it 2 years ago. They're durable,reliable and clear. Not sure on the amount of travel.

quickkillaught6
03-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Thank ya rat I have been lookig at the weaver scopes and they are not out of the question. glad you have had good success with yours ill check it out.

sveda
03-28-2011, 06:26 AM
I just went through this same issue. I have a SS 10x on a tactical rifle. I have a very nice 6-24 Nikon Monarch another bolt gun. I just picked up a "bang for the buck" scope for a high end AR-10. I got a Millett 4-16 x 50 (.1mill) side focus $299. I had it to the range this last weekend and played with all 3. The Nikon does not have the adjustment range but does have the best optics as you'd expect for the scope that costs 2x+ the others. The SS is quick to target and quicker to windage adjust (1/4mil). The Millett is a fine piece and I think I did well. The optics are fine (tested morning, noon, evening). I'm a not used to the 10 clicks though for adjustment but when it was zeroed (@200) it was really zero/zero. The 50 front objective does gather so much light it is the only way to go. I was going to get another SS but the adjustable power was $700 and the Millett wasn't. I hope this helps.