PDA

View Full Version : Sightron Big Sky too short to mount on LA Savage?!

james86
02-22-2011, 07:24 PM
I just got my sightron scope from midway yesterday. I went to mount it today and the tube is too short! The back scope mount goes to the zoom knob and the front mount goes past the end of the tube and is part of the way up the objective. I wasn't planning on this being an issue. Does anybody know if I can do anything to make this work? I don't want to buy a one piece base for it, but if that's my only option then I'm fine with that.

-James.

thirty06
02-22-2011, 07:28 PM
You can try Weaver #402 extended bases. Gives you 5/8" on each one.

range rat
02-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Buy a one piece base with slots every 1/4 inch.

tammons
02-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Pretty common with the new shorter tube scopes.

Use a rail base IE like a weaver or picatinny base and some good rings.
I like Burris extreme rings.

With that you can set the scope wherever you want.

james86
02-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the responses. I already have rings, I got the Burris Signature Zee rings. So I need a one piece base. As long as I'm buying one, I think I'll buy one of the canted ones like the 20moa. Any advice on which base? I know a lot of people use the EGW.

-James.

geargrinder
02-22-2011, 10:56 PM
EGW or the Weaver Tactical.

kslefty
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
I use burris or leupold rings and bases and always have to get an offset ring for the front. These are the turn in dovetail variety and I am not sure what the signature line uses. I have had great luck with these rings and a windage adjustable rear base.

helotaxi
02-23-2011, 11:17 PM
What size tube and how big of an objective? I've got a set of signature rings with bases (turn-in front and windage adjustable rear) for a 1" tube with the extended front base that I can send you for peanuts. I was using them with a 40mm objective scope and it was about perfect.

helotaxi
02-24-2011, 04:21 PM
I realized that you probably need a round back base and the ones that I have are for a flat back.

james86
02-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Yeah I would need a round back. Thanks anyway helotaxi. I am going to get the EGW 20moa from midway. They're making a fortune off of me this month!

-James.

geargrinder
02-25-2011, 02:10 AM
Yeah I would need a round back. Thanks anyway helotaxi. I am going to get the EGW 20moa from midway. They're making a fortune off of me this month!

-James.

The Weaver Tactical is lower and cheaper.

pdog06
02-25-2011, 08:03 AM

-James.

opticsplanet has them on sale currently for $29.90..... The EGW's are nice bases.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/egw-savage-picatinny-rail-scope-mount-round-back.html

helotaxi
02-25-2011, 10:23 AM
They're making a fortune off of me this month!

You and me both. I think I've placed 4 orders in the $150-200 range this month. Lots of it was bases (EGW x4) and rings (Burris Signature Zee x3 and a set of Burris XTR low mount). I still need to order some bullets, but probably won't order from Midway.

KySharpshooter
02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't like two-piece bases for this same reason. I have been looking for a good one-piece steel base for my new .30-06 111, and I had decided on a Ken Farrell base. I was talking to a machinist friend of mine the other day and mentioned something to him about making a base for me, and he said he'd do it if I gave him the specs. I'm taking him the rifle tomorrow so he can measure the top of the receiver, so hopefully he'll have it done one day this week. I will post pics once it's finished.