PDA

View Full Version : Leupold vs. Nightforce vs. other brands

Peter_Kirch
10-20-2009, 01:16 AM
So this rifle I'm looking at will only be my second rifle so I'm still new to this stuff. As far as scopes go what is going to give me THE MOST bang for the buck much like the savage is the best accuracy for the price. I am of course leaning toward a Leupold M4 6.5-20 LRT but kinda ancy about shelling out 1200 bucks and yeas I know the VX-III is the same but cheaper. Then i read a review about Leupold scopes not holding parallax adjustments from shot to shot.... What do you guys suggest?

savageboy
10-20-2009, 01:26 AM
I had a 30mm Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24X 50 mm mil dot that I just replaced with a Nightforce 8-32x BR N2DD on my F Class rig. The Bushnell's glass on this scope is supposed to be their top of the line. There is no comparison to how clear, etc. the Nightforce is vs. the Bushnell. I cannnot compare it to the Leup, but I know that I will never own another scope other than a nightforce on a long range rig.

Afy
10-20-2009, 04:06 AM
I had a leopold LRT 6.5-20 which I sold and got a Nightforce NF 12-42 NP1RR and couldnt be happier. There is absolutely no comparision between the two. The NF is in a different league all together.

johnds
10-20-2009, 04:12 PM
I have been using the Leupold VXIII 6.5-20 for a while now. I have had problems with it being focused when I adjust for parallax. I also am not happy with the having to go to zero and starting over when I adjust the parallax because of the backlash. I bought the leupold because of their bullet proof warranty. This is my last one. I have been looking at the Zeiss Conquest for my next purchase. The downside to the Zeiss is their limited elevation adjustment. I can't quite afford a Nightforce.

xman77777
10-20-2009, 05:09 PM
I just replaced the Leupold 6.5-20 LR on my rig with a Nightforce 8-32 Benchrest with the 2DD reticle. No real complaints with the Leupold, but needed (wanted) more magnification for 1000 yard shooting. Side by side, the Nightforce is brighter, probably due to the 56mm front objective, and the 2DD reticle is great. I also really like the click adjustments on the Nightforce, they seem more precise somehow. As a side note, the Nightforce is huge, and that sucker is some kind of heavy due to the double thickness machined housing versus an extruded tube. Both good scopes, but as close as they are in price... and wanting to try one anyway, well .....

Rod

Fjold
10-20-2009, 06:31 PM
That's funny how many of us are/were shooting the Leupy 6.5-20s. I just shot a 1,000 yard (F class) match last Sunday with mine on my 6.5x284 and on the second stage I shot a 199-6X with it (we won't talk about stage 1).

I have no issue with it's clarity, focus, or adjustments, my only complaints with it are that there isn't a clear reference point on the turret body to index the adjustments to and that you can't tell how many revolutions you are up on the vertical by looking at it. During the Prep period I was worrying about whether I had re-zeroed my scope after the last time I shot it or it was still set up for 800 yards.

I'm going to order a Nighforce 5.5-22x50 NP-R1 before the end of the month to use at next month's match.

Peter_Kirch
10-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Any opinions on Vortex? I know I probably shouldn't compare it to the other two since it is about half as much...

Senderofan
10-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Any opinions on Vortex? I know I probably shouldn't compare it to the other two since it is about half as much...

Peter:

If you're looking at the Viper line...I'd say they are a very good product...probably tops in their price point. Have been strongly considering one for my AR...I've got a very good friend that has one on his AR...seems to be clear and bright even on the highest setting.

Just my humble opinion...But I'd recommend it ( Vortex Viper ) to any of my friends and family.

Wayne

Fjold
10-20-2009, 07:41 PM

I bought one for my Ruger 10/22. We have 22 rimfire tactical/precision rifle matches here and it has worked out fine for that. I've shot it from 25 yards all the way out to 150 yards in the matches which is about 15 MOA of adjustment from my 50 yard zero and the Vortex tracks really well both up and down. For the money it is a pretty good scope. I don't know how well it would work on a harder recoiling gun but on the 22 it works great.

Peter_Kirch
10-20-2009, 08:09 PM
I qm looking at putting it on top of the next build, probably 30-06 or .308. I currently have a savage 110
30-06 that i have a Barska Swat 6.5-22x44 scope which seemed ok but it doesn't hold it's zero very well.

Peter_Kirch
10-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Anybody notice Vortex has their three lower lines that don't break $500 dollars and then they have the Razor HD that is $2600?

Nitroused383
10-24-2009, 06:38 AM
I would look into the Sightron SIII LR 6x26-50. 4" eye relief, 100 MOA elevation, accurate tracking, mil dot, cap covers on turrets, amazing glass (compares to nightforce), great customer service and only $729 shipped. The only problem... good luck finding one they sell out as soon as they are in stock. If you ever have problems with the thing send it to Sightron and they will send you a new one back.

Go to this link and click on optics on the right side, next type in siii and you will find a great review where they tested, tracking, resolution, clarity, and brightness compared to a nightforce. Make sure you scroll through all the results there are several test. http://accurateshooter.com/bulletin.html

Txhillbilly
10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
I have a couple Leupold VXII's on 22's and a 30/06 they work OK and I have always had good luck with my Nikon Monarchs. I know alot of you shoot long range and I don't,most of my shots are under 400yrds. I did just get a used Swarovski PH 4-16x50 AO for $900 and it is the best scope that I have every looked through,as soon as my rings get in it is going on my 110FLP 300WM.

rjtfroggy
10-29-2009, 09:52 AM
I've been switching over to the ss 20x42 scopes for my preferred scope but I only shoot out to 300 yds. They track precisely always return to zero and their glass is clear for the $300 price tag you get a scope that compares to the $800 ones.
I now am waiting on a 112 vlp from Northlander in 25-06 and I think I may use a Trijicon 5-20 with the green dot for this one.
If you are looking for good scopes at even better prices go to www.swfa.com and then go to the sample list there you will find almost everything you could imagine at reduced prices( trade ins). Their service is top notch and they have 110% price guarantee.

Peter_Kirch
10-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Ill check out the sightron and SWFA

thanks guys!

-Peter

Peter_Kirch
11-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Is the Reticle on the Nightforce NXS on the first or second focal plane. I just saw that the Mark 4 LRT it is on the Second and the ERT is on the first but the ERT is so close to the price of a Nightforce I think I would just get a Night Force

yotesniper
11-27-2009, 07:57 PM
You might also look at a Clearidge XP5. this scope uses Bushnell 6500 Elite Glass and is supossed to compair with the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes for about half the money. Look them up on the net and take a look

BobT
11-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Since I can't afford a U.S. Optics I have a very strong preference for Leupold, I can't afford those either but I "save up" or look for good deals on used ones.

Bob