PDA

View Full Version : Fluting

ESSCEE
02-21-2011, 04:12 AM
I am researching barrels for my first build. I have read that by fluting you usually can achieve the next smaller contour barrel weight. What is the advantage of a heavier barrel if you flute it to weigh less? Why not just go with the lighter contour to begin with?

Building an EDGE on a 110 by the way.

Thanks in advance for all the info.

geargrinder
02-21-2011, 04:23 AM
It will have most of the rigidity but the lighter weight.

Most of all, it looks cool.

ESSCEE
02-21-2011, 05:02 AM
I definately agree it does look cool 8) and that is probably the way im going to go.

Scott

Blue Avenger
02-21-2011, 09:53 AM
see many fluted barrels at matches? might be a reason. and cost would not be it.

khuff
02-21-2011, 10:36 AM
It will cool much faster because it has much greater surface area to act as a heat sink. The number and type of flutes can vary, 6 straight, or 6 twisted, or 4 or....
You can reduce the weight ~10+%, on a 30" varmint contour barrel (~7lbs), that's a lot and not effect the harmonics too much.

sinman
02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
This is probably my favorite flutting.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/sinarms/100MEDIA_IMAG0023.jpg

khuff
02-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Very nice and look at the break fitting job.....

sinman
02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks and it would look even better if I blended the brake.

GaCop
02-22-2011, 09:43 AM
see many fluted barrels at matches? might be a reason. and cost would not be it.

Is it because fluting sets up stresses in the barrel? Inquiring minds want to know.

helotaxi
02-22-2011, 12:09 PM
It will cool much faster because it has much greater surface area to act as a heat sink. The number and type of flutes can vary, 6 straight, or 6 twisted, or 4 or....
You can reduce the weight ~10+%, on a 30" varmint contour barrel (~7lbs), that's a lot and not effect the harmonics too much.

It will also heat up faster since you removed mass. Less mass means quicker heating.

The barrel is more rigid than a smooth contour barrel of the same weight, but less rigid than an unfluted version of the same barrel.

The reason that you don't see them in competitions is that the weight doesn't matter that much from the bench and any machining operation adds stresses to the metal that *might* affect accuracy. If weight doesn't matter, accuracy does and you also want as much mass as possible to slow barrel heating, fluting makes no sense in a competition rifle. Where you do see it is in 3-gun ARs that have to be carried and shot on the move. They usually want a longish barrel for increased sight radius (if shooting irons) and a little extra velocity as well as for balance but they want them to be relatively light.

SMK Shoe
02-23-2011, 02:29 AM
+1 for what HeloTaxi stated.

I think fluting helps cool the barrel because of surface area but Not alot. Weight reduction would be my only reason to spend the extra money. only my .02 cents :-\