PDA

View Full Version : WSM ?

Nefarioud
02-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Is the bolt unique or is it a standard SA bolt?

I found one for a decent price and I want to use the large shank receiver for a project and was wondering if I could just switch the bolt head and baffle or if I needed to replace the bolt.

bootsmcguire
02-20-2011, 03:25 AM
As long as it is a push feed type you should be able to just switch the head. I beleive.

wbm
02-20-2011, 08:34 AM
The WSM actions are control round feed and use a magnum bolt head. The bolt bodies are the same but the bolt head and receivers are different. On the receiver of the WSM's ejection is accomplished with a bar that fits in a slot in the receiver. The bar kicks the brass out rather than an ejector pin found on the push feed bolts. If you are going to use a cartridge that requires a magnum bolt head, then there is no problem. If you are going to use a non-magnum bolt head that uses an ejector pin, then it should work if you remove the bar in the receiver...I think!

Nefarioud
02-20-2011, 10:12 AM
I've seen old flat back WSM's in CRF. This one is definitely not CRF, it's an accu-trigger, push feed, .532 bolt face.

Sounds like, worst case, I might need a bolt assembly, the rifle's cheap, I 'll guess I'll grab it and start playing with it.

geargrinder
02-20-2011, 12:39 PM
If it is a push feed all you'll need is a bolt head and firing pin assembly.

wbm
02-20-2011, 04:53 PM
The last three 300WSM's I bought all had control round feeds.

biggun
02-20-2011, 07:32 PM
I just rebarreled a 300 wsm accu trigger m. 11 and it is push not control feed so they are out there.I'm happy that means now I can get Fred to flute my bolt.Now she is wearing a Shilen 6.5 wsm.

L.H. Clark
02-21-2011, 11:27 AM
I know it's a moot point since you discovered it's a push feed, but my donor rifle was a CRF and all I had to do is what WBM said and remove the ejector bar in the rear of the reciever and change the bolt head and I was good to go. Changed a 111 in 300 win. mag to a 6.5 Swede.

I am interested in the 6.5 wsm though, are you planning on nitriding your Shilen barrel to protect it and get a little more mileage out of her?

NATTY BUMPO
02-22-2011, 12:12 AM
All right. Y'all made that as clear as muddy water... ???

Soooo...are the WSM's push feed......or are they CRF????

If I get a wild hair and order a .270 WSM, is it gonna be push, or CRF?? Did they start out push and go to CRF?? If so, when? Or was it vice versa?
Or is there any rhyme or reason to it at all????

And as long as I'm asking, have y'all had any issues ref feeding with the short fat WSM's?

geargrinder
02-22-2011, 12:24 AM
CRF was only on stagger feed actions. Centerfeed action got push feed.

NATTY BUMPO
02-22-2011, 12:33 AM
So what do the current production guns, the ones coming off the assembly line tomorrow, have?

Push, or CRF?

bootsmcguire
02-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Push Feed, all the new guns for the last couple years are all Centerfeed, even the Stevens.

NATTY BUMPO
02-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Ok, thanks. That answers that question. Much obliged.