PDA

View Full Version : 338 Lapua 110 Questions

lwink
02-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Please feel free to help me however you see fit, I'm also thinking of an edge, really riding the fence on this one. If I got the right bolt face, could I build this Lapua on a 110 action safely? What about rear baffles (the one that contacts the bolthead) -- anyone have any info on what kind of baffle this would need? I'm thinking of picking up a 300 win mag or 7 mag and using as much of the action/bolt parts as possible, but would I really be ahead of the game getting this caliber over a 270 or what have you if I'm going to change the bolt head anyways? I know brass is way more for the Lapua, but the reloading dies are much cheaper so that becomes less of a factor in my eyes. Feel free to give me any info on these two ideas, and bring up any other factors or issues I'm going to run into with these calibers off a 110 action.

Nefarioud
02-20-2011, 01:44 AM
If you search for .338 Lapua there are a few threads on this, the consensus is that it's ill advised.

bootsmcguire
02-20-2011, 03:44 AM
+1 with NefariousD.

I think you will be better off with the 338 Edge, from a building and saftey standpoint.

dcloco
02-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Search the site for 338 Edge info.

The price of Lapua brass alone will keep you broke.

338 RUM is a viable alternative as well.

There is a way around the 338 EDGE die set as well...your search will provide the details.

geargrinder
02-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Look at some of my posts if you want to know about the 338 Edge and cheap dies.

lwink
02-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys -- I have read about everything on the site I've been able to find about the edge in the past week or so, including some interesting use of multiple dies. I guess I will just stick to my initial plan and keep on going with the 338 edge build. Nosler 300 RUM brass seems to be pretty good from what I've read. I will look into the cheap die alternatives for the edge a little more carefully. Thanks again.