PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Stratches

MDHOGGER
02-19-2011, 10:17 PM
I just got a barrel in 17-222 in matte finish through a company that works with McGowen. I thought I was being very careful in the installation. I ran some painters tape along the top where I was sliding my barrel wrench. I also ran some painters tape around where my aluminum barrel vise bushing was to be place. It seems however in selecting the right size bushing and sliding it up the barrel I put some scratches on the barrel. They are not deep and some look more like marring but I would like to get rid of them. All I did at this point was ran a rag with Kroil and wiped down the barrel with no success. Do I need to have the barrel totally redone or is there a simpler fix. Help I am sort of bummed out at this point. I also have some other barrels in matte finish and they too have gotten some scratches over time. At this point I am thinking of sticking with plain stainless finish barrels and not matte.

Blue Avenger
02-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Matte blue? black? Did you try a little bottle of bluing? is mot much for a complete refinish, but works well on light marks sometimes.

MDHOGGER
02-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Sorry it is a stainless steel barrel with a matte finish. Advice would be appreciated.

Mallard57
02-20-2011, 12:33 AM
I don't know if it will work for your gun but my Stainless Super Blackhawk cleaned up with a green 3m scratchpad for dishwashing.
Jeff

MDHOGGER
02-20-2011, 12:41 AM
I have heard of using the 3M pads but are those for straight stainless steel barrels (polished). Don't think it would work on matte finished stainless steel. I would go back to the polished finish on this barrel if I had to to avoid the easy way the matte finish scratches. Here are a couple of pictures of the barrel the best I can get with my camera.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss27/mdman54/RiflesEquipment/17-222scratches10001.jpg

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss27/mdman54/RiflesEquipment/17-222scratches20001.jpg

Eric in NC
02-20-2011, 09:48 AM
You could try 3M pads or one of the nice things about a bead blast finish is that you can always bead blast it again!