PDA

View Full Version : Stockade lift kit

jonbearman
02-19-2011, 08:16 PM
I ordered 2 of Kevins kits and shortened up the bolt that holds the bolt handle on and used a spade drill and spot faced the bolt for the little ball bearing.Put it in the gun and wow what a difference.Wondering if anyone else has played with these parts before? This is for a short action.

jwpark
02-20-2011, 04:37 AM
Yeah, I have a Kevin bolt lift kit too. My bolt lift is pretty light, at about 8lbs, but I also polished my bolt parts really well. So I'm not sure home much it was a factor, but it did help.

craig
02-20-2011, 10:10 AM
How hard is it to shorten the bolt and not mess up the threads?
Thanks

jonbearman
02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
I did it in a collet on my southbend lathe with a standard turning tool(carbide). I tightened the collet and got it running as true as possible and trimmed it with light passes.Then I used a carbide spade drill as a locator for the ball bearing(pivot point). It works real well.

geargrinder
02-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Those screws are very tough. I just run mine on a bench grinder to shorten them. Haven't messed up a thread yet.

I also make my own lift kits with 357 brass and a BB.

gotcha
02-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Bearman, Thanks for the tips! I just ordered two of Kevins kits. Were your mods made before or after installation? Just wondered if you felt noticeable improvement over the "stock" set up. Thanks, Dale

jwpark
02-20-2011, 03:38 PM
I didn't shorten the BAS at all. Just gave a nice polish to the point that comes in contact with the lift kit.

jonbearman
02-20-2011, 06:43 PM
I did the mods after I tried it and it felt smoother but just as heavy.I wouldnt grind it off,how do you hold it? It is a short fat screw(bas) and in a lathe it is easy and very precise.

geargrinder
02-20-2011, 09:15 PM
I hold it with my short fat fingers. ;D

It doesn't need to be a precision operation. I measure the rim of my 357 brass. I measure the amount the BB sticks out of the primer pocket. I add those two numbers together.

I measure the BAS. Subtract the previous number, and that is the BAS length I am shooting for.

Take it to the grinder. Grind, measure, and repeat until it is the correct length.

Hitting the correct length is pretty easy.

lwink
02-20-2011, 11:16 PM
I hold it with my short fat fingers. ;D

It doesn't need to be a precision operation. I measure the rim of my 357 brass. I measure the amount the BB sticks out of the primer pocket. I add those two numbers together.

I measure the BAS. Subtract the previous number, and that is the BAS length I am shooting for.

Take it to the grinder. Grind, measure, and repeat until it is the correct length.

Hitting the correct length is pretty easy.

+1 on that method, done it twice with no ill effects.

pdog06
02-20-2011, 11:16 PM
I didn't shorten the BAS at all.

Not shortening the BAS basically adds spring pressure, which most likely cancels out any help the lift kit may have given.

I have done 7 or 8 of them, and they all seemed to need shortened about .110-.112" if I remember correctly.

jwpark
02-21-2011, 01:01 PM
I wish someone would sell a shortened BAS

dolomite_supafly
02-21-2011, 06:51 PM
I wish someone would sell a shortened BAS

How about using a spacer between the BAS and the bolt that is the smae thickness as what is offset by the bolt lift kit?

That is what I do and it works great. No need to shorten the BAS and permanently alter it. If you ever decide to remove the bolt lift kit just remove the spacer and you are back to factory, can't do that once you have shortened your BAS. Although these spacers are machined I can say that there are washers out there that are exactly the same ID and OD as what is needed for a clean look.

I even go a little farther and use a thrust bearing:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Savage/IMG_2525.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Firearms%20related/IMG_2569.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Firearms%20related/IMG_2570.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Firearms%20related/IMG_2568.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Savage/IMG_2530.jpg

Definitely smooths the bolt lift out and because the spacer is the same as the bearing there is no loss of spring pressure.

Hopefully this doesn't bring up all the controversy it did the last time I posted these pictures.

Dolomite

z71rat
02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Dolomite,

I have a new 10PC with the cocking indicator. Doesn't the thrust bearing version allow for the indicator??

If so, can I buy the components from you?? Just let me know Bud!!

DK

Blueovalbandit
02-21-2011, 11:35 PM
The thrust bearing id is too small to fit the cocking indicator, I know because I tried every one mcmaster carr sells that will fit the bolt body ID with the exception on 1 which I just go today. It is not a plastic bearing like that one. And the spacer, while a good alternative for shortening the BAS, for us through bolt cocking indicator guys will make it recessed in the bolt when cocked defeating the purpose of the indicator as cocked will look uncocked.