PDA

View Full Version : Accutrigger Complaints

Billch
02-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Greetings all,

I've got a model 12 F/TR in 308. I've had it for almost a year now and I'm very happy with it. It's probably got about 1300 rounds through it so far without a hitch. It's the only bolt action rifle I have ever owned.

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about triggers. He is a Remington 700 guy and his only experience shooting a rifle with an accutrigger is with my F/TR, and he is a Savage fan now. While we both agreed that the accutrigger was fine, it is different than what most people expect. I can't imagine changing mine out for anything.

We both were aware of complaints out there of the accutrigger but neither of us knew exactly what the problem is.

My question is, What is the problem with the accutrigger?

B

thirty06
02-19-2011, 04:19 PM
The main problem with the accu-trigger is people try to set it to low.
If set to low it will "uncock" itself when you close the bolt.

pdog06
02-19-2011, 04:29 PM
The main problem with the accu-trigger is people try to set it to low.
If set to low it will "uncock" itself when you close the bolt.

That is correct.

The other problem is that people just dont like the feel of the extra blade. I gotta admit that it does take a little getting used to if you switch off and on from one gun to another in one sitting, but it doesnt really bother me. I would still prefer to have a SSS or Rifle Basix trigger though if I had to choose.

deadeye
02-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Another thing that many complain about is failure to fire - this is due to poor finger/trigger "interface".

If you pull "sideways" rather than straight back on the accu-trigger you can have a "no-fire" for lack of a better term.

I see this as a plus since it almost forces good trigger control.

birdie
02-19-2011, 07:19 PM
I took the extra blade out of a couple of different savages.

conley82
02-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I took the extra blade out of a couple of different savages.

How does it still work with out the blade in it. Never tore one apart to see how it works but was under the impression it had to be there.

nsaqam
02-20-2011, 03:08 AM
I took the blade out of all my AT actions.

Never liked the feel as it feels like a two stage trigger to me.

The blade is not essential for proper function of the trigger and with the blade out the AT functions precisely as do most other CF triggers.

It does eliminate a factory safety feature though so that is something you need to consider.

range rat
02-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Another thing that many complain about is failure to fire - this is due to poor finger/trigger "interface".

If you pull "sideways" rather than straight back on the accu-trigger you can have a "no-fire" for lack of a better term.

I always thought of this to be a good thing too. It forces the shooter to use proper straight back trigger pull which improves accuracy.

204dogger
02-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I have shot thousands of rounds out west with several different rifles and triggers.

The Savages with Accu triggers are my favorites.

A lot of interesting things can happen after many hours of shooting with weather, mental and physical fatigue and critters such as snakes, cows and horses sneaking up behind you.

I like the fact that there is an additional safety feature.

Chris

Billch
02-20-2011, 04:06 PM

I have seen this.
I took another friend of mine to the range to do a little plinking. I was very surprised to see how much trouble he was having with the "no-fire", as you put it. After several times, I examined his trigger technique. He was sticking his whole finger into the trigger guard and using the first knuckle/joint to depress the trigger. :o
I suggested that he use just the pad of the tip of his finger instead. His counter to that suggestion was that this was the way he'd always done it. ???

Over all, he liked the rifle but didn't care much for the trigger.

I've had a hunch that operator error was the biggest reason for Accutrigger complaints but wanted to put the question out there just the same. I don't think I can justify an aftermarket trigger. How much better are they?

B

Quickshot
02-20-2011, 05:47 PM
To answer your last question, I have a pre-acutrigger mod 12 with a basix trigger I put in it. I have a later mod 12 with the acutrigger. I find both to be good in my usage. Would I replace the acutrigger with a basix? No. Would I remove the basix and put in an acutrigger. No. Quick