PDA

View Full Version : I'm not allowed to buy a spring!

mugsie
02-19-2011, 09:34 AM
I purchased a used Savage with an Accutrigger. The previous owner mushed up the adjustment spring, so I wanted to replace it. I called Savage customer service, told them about the mushed spring, and after having to give them my serial number of the rifle (I guess they wanted to see if it was stolen because I don't see what difference the serial number makes to the spring) they said it's a $2.50 part but because they have a minimum order rule, I need to pay $10 for the part or order something else so the total is $10 or greater. No problem. Then they asked me for my FFL number - I don't have one. Turns out I need to be an FFL Dealer or a gunsmith in order to purchase a spring!

I said it's only a ten cent spring, not a receiver - and was told because it's called a trigger adjustment spring, and the word trigger is specified, it's a regulated part. Absolutely amazing!

Ray Gunter
02-19-2011, 09:51 AM
I think youve stumbled on to a Savage internal policy and not an ATF rule.

Because its an internal part to a trigger Savage is reluctant to sell to anyone except a gunsmith. Liability problems galor

kkeene
02-19-2011, 10:30 AM
I bought my extra parts and springs from SSS.

trappst
02-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Yep, Savage policy. I ran into the same thing while ordering a replacement firing pin and spring for a Savage 220 slug gun. My local dealer took care of me and I had the parts within a week and Savage was very helpful.

Sharp Shooter Supply will probably have what you need. Just be patient.

If you were a paid member, you might be able to find one in the classifieds here. Just a thought

82boy
02-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Turns out I need to be an FFL Dealer or a gunsmith in order to purchase a spring!

This has been Savage, (As well as other retailers.) policy for some time.
SSS is the only company I know that will sell them.

memilanuk
02-19-2011, 01:10 PM
I think I recall someone relaying a similar story involving Brownells... except the guy talked 'em into sending him one by telling them that he'd have a qualified gunsmith install it ::)

forger
02-19-2011, 04:52 PM
We have to understand..the antis are all over the manufacturers, looking for any excuse to bellyache. I needed an ejector part for my Marlin 336..called marlin..only to an FFL.. I understood and called Numrich, who trook care of me.
However, if we have a supplier who may be able to supply your part and who advertises here; try them FIRST !

Blue Avenger
02-19-2011, 05:43 PM
We have to understand..the antis are all over the manufacturers, looking for any excuse to bellyache. I needed an ejector part for my Marlin 336..called marlin..only to an FFL.. I understood and called Numrich, who trook care of me.
However, if we have a supplier who may be able to supply your part and who advertises here; try them FIRST !
Not antis. it idiots that may not know much, but know how to call lawyers.