PDA

View Full Version : Engraving a 110 Action

Charleslv
02-18-2011, 01:17 PM
For Christmas the wife bought me The Art of Engraving by JAMES B. MEEK an engraving starter set (Hand engraving tools) some practice plates and other stuff.

Since I have a few extra 110 actions laying around does any know what I would have to do to engrave one. Do I anneal it engrave it then get it hardened again?

I see in the book often he refrences case hardening.

Thoughts ideas would be appreciated. Can a 110 be engraved and if so what process should be done?

ellobo
02-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I would not engrave a case hardened action. But you wont see that on a Savage. I have done engraving for years on muzzleloaders I build but its mostly on brass or silicon bronze. The steell on recievers is not so hard that you cant engrave them. Engraving on a curved surface is a PITA. One pc of advice I can give you is Practice, practice, practice. And then more practice. And make sure you have something you can securlly mount the reciever too. You dont want it to move while you are working on it. Fixing a screw up is almost impossible. Believe me, I know.
El Lobo.

sharpshooter
02-20-2011, 05:46 PM
The only areas that are induction hardened on a reciever are the rear where the safety slides along and the front receiver ring. Those spots are not that much harder, the prints call for 48Rc, while the rest of the receiver is 38-42 Rc. I have a local guy who does engraving and he doesn't have any problems with modern weapons, only the older case colored and cast recievers mostly found on falling blocks,etc.

Charleslv
02-21-2011, 01:55 AM
So I can go for it and not worry about hardening it after the fact. I may be getting a little bored with my extra actions I thought about sending one in to get brushed chrome after I engrave it. Then send it to Sharpshooter to get the action done before rebarreling it with some thing.

ellobo
02-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Go for it......after six months of daily practice first. Not kidding.

El Lobo