PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Question

scratcherky
10-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I am getting ready to bed my Stevens 200 LA in a walnut stock using Devcon. The action will be metal to metal contact on pillars. I understand the tang area needs clearance on these rifles when using factory stocks; my original was tupperware. What I do not understand is why clearance is needed under the tang on a fully pillar bedded rifle. Sure would appreciate some clarification on this since I am leaning toward also bedding the tang.
Thanks,
Don

Woodser
10-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I think I read somewhere once that is has to do with action flexing when under pressure. If the tang is not floated, the flex will not be consistent. I am sure I read it, but do not remember where.

dolomite_supafly
10-19-2009, 10:32 PM
This is the instructions I used when I started bedding. It has always worked for me. I bed all the way to the tang but the next gun I do I will try without going to the tang to see what happens. I have a very capable gun that I can do a comparison of before and after.

Stress Free Pillar Bedding (http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html)

I use clear Kiwi shoe polish as a release agent. I use blue tape to mask off the finished areas of the stock. I use non drying modelling clay to dam areas of the stock I don't want the bedding material to get into.

I have tried a few different bedding compounds as well as JB weld early on. The best I have found is Devcon Steel Putty. It is sold in 1 pound containers. It is also sold in tubes about the size of JB Weld making it almost perfect for a single gun and a lot cheaper than the larger container, I think I paid around $5 for the small packs. The best part about Devcon Steel Putty is that is stays where you put it, gravity won't affect it like most others I have tried.

Dolomite

jpdown
10-20-2009, 09:51 AM
No need to bed the tang in a Savage since the bedded action is already resting solid on the pillars. Why introduce a potential stress point? Most recommend free-floating the tang in a Savage.