PDA

View Full Version : Peer input...?!

Larrymc27
02-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Hello.
Im a newby to this forum, thank Jesus I found it.
Heres what ive got.
Its an older Savage 110 7mm mag. no accutriger, i got it used around 6 years ago so im really not sure as to its exact model it did come with a laminate stock. I want to do a custom build with it. and im leaning toward a tactical/hunter I have taken it down to rec. and barrel. the barrel, Im pretty sure has the large shank threads. Other parts will be replaced (trigger, Mag, sear,ect...) the bolt is fine for now but i wanna replace the handle to a larger one.
Ive been looking around for a Varment contour barrel (I think I wanna stick to the 7mm mag.) about 24" with a incorporated muzzle brake that fits the contour of the barrel seamlessly.
Where I need help is with a reasonable sorce to get what a need at a reasonable price and choice of stock,optics,a solid optic base, triggers ect... im really open to any sugestions.
Thanks in advance.
Larry Mcnew

Cycler
02-16-2011, 01:39 PM
One name: Sharp Shooter Supply. (www.sharpshootersupply.com). Fred does excellent action, stock, trigger and barrel work and can give you anything you want.

jonbearman
02-16-2011, 09:15 PM
NORTHLAND SUPPLY IS A GOOD BET.

sinman
02-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Your barrel is a Small/std shank, unless its a 7mm Remington Ultra mag then it could be large shank. A seamless muzzle break is easy to do but not every drop in manufacture offers that option. You can always have it added later on but it is nice to have everything ready to go when you get the barrel. your stock will have to be opened up for the larger barrel or you could swap it out for another stock.

bootsmcguire
02-17-2011, 10:05 PM
+1 for Jim Briggs at Northland.

...it seems like I am forgetting someone else. It's like its right above me and I just can't see it.

Seriously, talk to Jim and drop Sinman a PM. Jim is great to deal with and Sinman is highly recommended by memebers here. I have some work planned for him once funds allow.

wbm
02-18-2011, 11:17 AM
For what it's worth. If you go with a varmint contour with a 26" barrel I'm not sure you will need a brake. The 112 I got from Jim Briggs had a stainless fluted 26" varmint contour barrel with a BVSS stock. It was very comfortable to shoot without a brake. IMHO a 7MM Magnum was made for a 26" barrel. If you do need a brake I would definitely consider one from Devin Sinner. He does good work and you don't have to wait three months like some other places!

tammons
02-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Where I need help is with a reasonable sorce to get what a need at a reasonable price and choice of stock,optics,a solid optic base, triggers ect... im really open to any sugestions.
Thanks in advance.
Larry Mcnew

Buy your other stuff here used and save.
Besides a barrel my list would be....

Medalist or duramax stock. Maybe Choate too.
Machined recoil lug.
SSS trigger - a must.
EGW or farrel base for more $
Burris extreme rings.

Scopes are tricky on a budget. We dont know what that is but if in the $300 area I would get a Leupold VXI 4-12 x with a LR retical.
A LR retical would get you out to about 500 yards.

Maybe a Vortex, Nikon etc.
With a magnum, I would want a lifetime warrenty.

If you are considering hunting at very long distances I would look for a scope with a MP-8 retical.
Not cheap though.
I think Vortex has a new MP-8 retical scope coming out soon.

fatdaddy
02-19-2011, 10:25 AM
+1 for Jim and Sinman. Both have enabled my addiction many times... Bill

GaCop
02-20-2011, 08:53 AM
+2, Jim and Devin rule!

Larrymc27
02-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Thank you for the input.
After a lot of reading and A little input from you guys the thing is now i have two projects.
The afore mentioned original project and another one with a small change to the original plan.
Mod.111 .270 soon to be 7mm mag with a varmenter or sporter 26" barrel with a muzzle brake. (I know it might be over kill but I want all the help I can get with recoil incase my wife wants to elk hunt with me) the stock will have to be chote tac. they all just look sexy my grandad insists that I glass bed along with pillar bed the action , he admits its a little too much, but he assures me that I will "be glad I did".
The other is an older Mod 110. flat top receiver soon to be a 25-06 24in barrel but the rest will be the same as above.
I have been fortunate to meet a guy her ein town that is a certified gunsmith and loves savages and will look over my work and let me know what im doing wrong.
Thanks to all you guys. and i may be sending out pms and emails reguarding bartrels here shortly.
Larry

rsbhunter
02-26-2011, 06:37 PM
And the addiction begins......rsbhunter

Larrymc27
02-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Sinman you have a pm