PDA

View Full Version : McMillan, Stockade, or another?

nsaqam
02-16-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm considering a new, high quality stock for my LH Savage 280AI.

I'm considering the McMillan Savage Sporter which sells for $438 completely finished. This is a known quantity as regards to quality and a 60% medium Brown, 25% dark brown, 15% black McSwirly can look alot like wood.

Also considering the Stockade Hunting Sporter which sells for $300 finished. I'd probably buy the Money Saver version for $175 though. Is the quality of these in the same league as the Mickey?

The B&C Medalist is out because the cheekpiece is on the wrong side.

The B&C Carbelite can be adapted to LH since it doesn't have a cheekpiece but I'm concerned that the quality isn't in the same league as the other two. I'd happily listen to anyone who had one as to their thoughts on the quality though.

If I could find a LH laminate sporter (no thumbhole, tactical, or benchrest) style stock I'd consider that as well.

Give me your thoughts and suggestions please.

nsaqam
02-16-2011, 07:43 PM
I talked to Kevin Rayhill and boy does that guy like to talk.

Really nice guy with alot of good info and opinions. Some not so good though to be honest.

He also has a very healthy ego.

Not surprisingly he claims his stocks are better than McMillans.

He's 14 to 16 weeks out on a stock right now.

Also looked at MPI Stocks and they make a sporter stock for the LH Savage priced between the Stockade and the Mickey.

Anyone have any info on any of these stocks?

pdog06
02-16-2011, 08:05 PM
That Mcmillan sounds really sweet! How long is the wait for it?

May wanna check their website as well, cause they had some stocks on their clearance section that were ready to ship. Dont know if any fit your needs, but worth a look...

tenwalker
02-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Kevin gets mine. He started an Elk Stalker for me this week.

nsaqam
02-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Anybody else who uses either the Stockade or the McMillan?

blom
02-18-2011, 01:02 PM
I have 2 A-5 Mac stocks, both on rems, 1 on a 308 my F-TR, 1 on a 6.5-06 mostly a hunting rig.
On a 260 Md 12 single shot I have a Stockade LBR for F-0. I am very happy with all 3, so I'm not going to be much help.
Both companies were great to deal with and delivered when they said they would.

Handloader
02-18-2011, 02:32 PM
I have both, an A5, and an Elk Hunter by Stockade (and an AICS on a REM 700). Both are good, the Elk Hunter is lighter than the A5. I am going to buy two mre Elk Hunters from him in the Money saver, if that means anything......

nuclabuyer
02-18-2011, 07:55 PM
I use McMillan A-5's. They are really heavy for hunting but I really like them but I dont have a stockade to compare it to. I will be ordering a McMillan Prone for a target rifle in a week or so.

DukeDurham
02-19-2011, 11:02 PM
If you can swing it, look at the XLR industries evolution stocks. You might just see what you next stock will look like. Talked to Kyle Friday 2/18/11, as of then lead time was only 6 weeks.

nsaqam
02-20-2011, 03:15 AM
If you can swing it, look at the XLR industries evolution stocks. You might just see what you next stock will look like. Talked to Kyle Friday 2/18/11, as of then lead time was only 6 weeks.

Thanks for the tip but I have exactly ZERO interest in any tactical style stock.

I'm wanting classic sporter with a nice open grip and a nice narrow, rounded forearm combined with lightweight. Paint it to look like wood and I'm even happier.

rsbhunter
02-21-2011, 02:10 PM
nasqam...I am looking for the exact same type of stock....luckily i'm a righty, so the B&C medalist and the Stockade hunting sporter look like real possibilities...does anyone know if the Stockade has a cheekpiece? I can call, but hate to bother a man that might be working on a members stock!!!!!!!!!!! Also, does Stockade make the sporter in the SA centerfeed spacing?...thanks, rsbhunter

tenwalker
02-23-2011, 02:27 AM
rsbhunter just give Kevin at stockade a call he will give you all the info. you need.
He loves to talk guns and stocks.

Handloader
02-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Kevin has an adjustable cheek piece. Google his website (I hear giving links is bad mojo here), and he has all his stock accessories listed with cost. If you call, plan on talking to him for a while. That said, I have enjoyed talking to him in the past.