PDA

View Full Version : Savage 116 Mount/Rings

sauced10
02-16-2011, 02:23 AM
Which mount/rings do yall recommend on a Savage 116 338 Win Mag? Mount MOA? Ring Size?

This is mainly a hunting gun and I'm still debating on a few scopes. Burris Fullfield E1, Leupold VX-1 or VX-2

james86
02-16-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm still a bit of an amateur, but I think I can guess what a lot of the guys will recommend for rings.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=416175

I'm not really sure about mounts though.

-James.

bowhntr04
02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm a newby also, but for my new 111 in 7mag i just purchased the EGW base and Warne maxima rings. $75 overall which is more than i'm used to spending on mounts and rings, but should be a solid platform and still a lot less than many set ups.

sauced10
02-17-2011, 12:57 PM

verminator
02-18-2011, 09:33 PM
I am a firm believer that the glass should cost the same or more than the rifle ! Do yourself a favor and don't skimp on a scope. Thats my 2 cents

sauced10
02-19-2011, 09:04 PM
I am a firm believer that the glass should cost the same or more than the rifle ! Do yourself a favor and don't skimp on a scope. Thats my 2 cents

For a hunting rifle that gets shot maybe 5x a year at 50-300 yards?

verminator
02-25-2011, 10:03 AM

Yes even for a hunting rifle, But if you want to watch a Buck of a life time walk away because your Wally World scope didn't hold zero, Have at it. Maybe next season your buck will be on my wall LOL The OP wanted opinions that is mine.

helotaxi
02-25-2011, 10:20 AM
If you couldn't get a great scope for less than $500 I would agree with spending a lot on a scope. However, there are optics companies out there selling on the quality of their glass not the history of their name that equate to excellent bang for the buck. Would I buy a Swarovski or Zeiss if I had the money sitting around? Maybe. Leupold? Not a chance. I have a couple of cheap scopes, mainly on rimfires and plinkers. If I actually have a purpose for the rifle other than "fun", $300-500 is my price range in general. That gets you into the price range on quality glass. To get noticably superior glass than what is available in that range, you're looking at 2x the money and the actual benefit of that improvement is not nearly 2x. Law of diminishing returns. It kicks in around $500.

sauced10
02-27-2011, 03:26 AM

Yes even for a hunting rifle, But if you want to watch a Buck of a life time walk away because your Wally World scope didn't hold zero, Have at it. Maybe next season your buck will be on my wall LOL The OP wanted opinions that is mine.

So you're saying all lower end scopes won't hold their zero? lol