PDA

View Full Version : where to find blind magazines

bajabill
02-16-2011, 12:56 AM
I have 2 rifles that I switch barrels with, one was originally a 30-06 and the other a 7mm mag. I can use one or the other bolt easily enough when I swap in my extra barrels, but I am wanting to get a hold of another standard (30-06 case) magazine. And, are the blind mags easily removed/replaced? Also, would it be best to have a short magazine for cartridges based off of the 308 or do people find that these work fine in the long magazine.

I typically only shoot single shot, but this year I hunted with a 30-06 in the magnum setup and could only reliably load one in the chamber and one in the mag.

GaCop
02-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Are they the newer center feed or the older stagger feed? You should be able to obtain magazine boxes and such directly from Savage. You could also look at Midway USA and Brownell's.

I've had 308 length cases work fine through a 30-06 length center feed magazine. They may be problematic in a stagger feed 06, won't know until you try.

bajabill
02-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Its never easy, is it?? ::) Also, everything is Left handed, if that matters

I have a 2002 staggered feed x-06 family blind magazine - (this one can accept the magnum cartridge also)

I have a 2007 center feed belted magnum blind magazine - (this one can only contain one x-06 round, adding more and the spring force pushes the round out)

So, If I could get a center feed x-06 family blind magazine, I would increase my flexibility for assembling a hunting gun each year. Are these readily interchanged?

I have not tried switching actions between the two stocks yet because I bedded my older gun. However, I like my newer action more because it has the accutrigger and my older gun has a terrible trigger. I know I should fix that, but I keep thinking the 100 bucks can go to another barrel or even another accutrigger gun which is what I really want. I have 6 barrels now (and a wish list) so a third mounting platform will definitely help.