PDA

View Full Version : Savage Extraction Problem

kemmercur
02-15-2011, 09:53 PM
308 Stainless Barrel, less than30 rounds through it

Action has been timed and trued

Need some opinions on an extraction problem.

The bolt is not hard to open.
The bolt is hard to pull back, requires a hard tap with your palm to remove the spent case
The case (Winchester Factory Ammo) has minor rough raised surface at the case body and shoulder interface
Hand loads with LC brass and 42.0 Grains of Varget are not as hard to extract and have minor surface roughness in the same area as the Winchesters but no raised metal (harder cases?)
The headspace is correct
Any ideas what is causing this, or have a solution?

82boy
02-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Sounds like either your pushing your ammo to hard, or your bolt handle is loose.

ellobo
02-16-2011, 01:53 AM
If there are marks on the body of the cartridge case that are indents of some kind I would suspect the chamber has some kind of roughness in it, crud, machining marks etc. Carbon Maybe but not likely. I have a mauser that was rebarreled and the chamber was rough untill I smoothed it out (dont ask how, others on here would howl). Before I smoothed it out it was an effort to extract and I never load to max. as I find that is never the most accurate in my rifles. Whatever is causing indents that were not there on the cartridge before firing that may be your problem. Worth checking and cheap to repair. If you have a gunsmith nearby ask him to run a chamber reamer into the chamber just enough to clean it not modify it, assuming he has the appropriate reamer. If your marks are raised then you have machining gouges in the chamber and a reamer wont fix those. In that case a bunsmith would have to face off a few thouands off and re-ream the chamber.

El Lobo.

kemmercur
02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
El Lobo, thanks for your input. I will be sending the barrel off and have the chamber redone. I thought about lapping it....but that's really not the correct way of doing it.