PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the most dirty barrel I have seen?

Pages : 1 [2]

kslefty
02-19-2011, 11:02 AM
You will spend 2 weeks cleaning this barrel giving yourself gray hair then end up shooting 100-200 rounds through it to settle it back in. As you can tell I am not a real believer in clean barrels shooting the best. ;)

dperk
02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm ok with a barrel that is 'settled in' dirty or seasoned... this barrel looks more like it has chunks in it.... At first I though it may have seen some rust, but now I believe it's just spotty carbon build up. The chamber plug should be here on Tuesday (monday being a postal holiday). I bet it will clean right up. If it does need a bunch of rounds to season it again, then that's fine. I had needed a Bolt Head anyway to ever shoot this thing... I guess they are hard to find 2nd hand, so I ordered one from Lisa at SSS yesterday. If I would have had the bolt head when I got the barrel, I wouldn't have bothered cleaning it so much and at least tried it out first.

Thanks again everyone for the replies!

CJ in WY
02-19-2011, 02:00 PM
If that back stuff is Molly Dawn dish soap may really help to get it out.
If its carbon GM Top Engine cleaner will get it out.

us920669
02-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I've found Hoppe's to be a little weaker than Shooters Choice, but Butch's is stronger. If your rod is coated, like most of the good ones these days, aggressive cleaning even with a bore guide will cause it to flex and slap against the rifling, possibly depositing coating in the bore. Be very careful with any polish or steel wool, since it will remove steel. Dirt may act as a stencil and protect some areas, resulting in an uneven surface. JB paste is excellent for anything, and they also make a polish called Bore Bright, probably like jewelers rouge - same color - for use on a clean bore. It is intended for microscopic tool marks and such and leaves a mirror-like finish. I always follow directions but never use near as many strokes as they recommend. Hint: if you are going to take a rifle to the gun show, run a few patches of Bore Bright and you will probably sell the gun, since most people have never seen as bore so brilliant.