PDA

View Full Version : What barrel to put a suppressor on?

redraven72
02-15-2011, 06:22 PM
I currently have a lightweight sport barrel in .308 and I'm currently in the process of purchasing a suppressor. What would be the draw backs for putting it on this barrel? Or should I just wait till I get a heavier barrel? Any help would be great. Thanks

sinman
02-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Most 30cal cans use 5/8"x24tpi so you will need .625" at the muzzle for threads but also a shoulder to stop against. I would suggest at least .68" so you will need your lw barrel cut back to account for that. Just a heads up in case you didn't know.

redraven72
02-15-2011, 06:43 PM
So it would be better for me to go ahead and get the heavier barrel then and leave the light weight barrel alone. Thanks that saved me a barrel.

sha-ul
02-16-2011, 12:40 PM
So it would be better for me to go ahead and get the heavier barrel then and leave the light weight barrel alone. Thanks that saved me a barrel.

If you are speccing out a new barrel, talk to the maker about threading, I think the cost from Shilen was minor to thread the muzzle while the barrel is already on the lathe

jgerrington
02-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Midway usa has a 308 heavy barrel already threaded and ready to mount on a savage on sale. Can't remember how much, but it was cheap. Been thinking about a silenced 308 myself. Silencer is about $650-700 and up then $200 to govt. I just have to hear one in person first. Not interested in sub sonic loads.

helotaxi
02-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Midway usa has a 308 heavy barrel already threaded and ready to mount on a savage on sale. Can't remember how much, but it was cheap. Been thinking about a silenced 308 myself. Silencer is about $650-700 and up then $200 to govt. I just have to hear one in person first. Not interested in sub sonic loads.

I bought one of those barrels for a build and it was under $150 IIRC. I bought it for use with a brake but might run a suppressor later. Still waiting on the stock so no chance to shoot it yet to give an opinion.

Cutting a sporter barrel back to around 20" should give you the diameter you need for threads. The can is going to add both length and weight, so a heavier barrel profile might not be desirable.