PDA

View Full Version : Wedge gone in accu-stock?

TitanX
02-14-2011, 07:46 PM
I have seen a few posts that say savage no longer uses the wedge in the accu-stock, can anyone confirm this for sure?

Carvera
02-14-2011, 09:08 PM
I know that I asked a similar question a while back.....

Didn't get any responses.

ellobo
02-14-2011, 11:04 PM
The wedge is no longer used in the acustock. Dont know when they stopped using it but it is now not part of the design. From one posting I read, if you have it chuck it.
El Lobo

TitanX
02-14-2011, 11:08 PM
The wedge is no longer used in the acustock. Dont know when they stopped using it but it is now not part of the design. From one posting I read, if you have it chuck it.
El Lobo

do you know if all they did was remove the wedge, or did they change anything in the design?

TitanX
02-15-2011, 10:07 AM
followup: i just got off the phone with savage. The wedge was removed approximately 1 year ago. The lady on the phone, kathy, was evasive. I asked her if she could find out at what serial # that started at, so i make sure i get the revised version. She said she didnt know how to go about getting that information (which i dont believe at all).

she said there is nothing wrong with the original version, they had to make a design change because it was too similar to someone elses design. (sounds fishy as well).

bottom line, starting about 1 year ago, savage removed the wedge from the accustock system and made a minor design revision. (though they wouldnt elaborate what the changed aside from removing the wedge).

snowgetter1
02-15-2011, 10:26 AM
I have 2 rifles with the wedge. One is a 25-06 111 and it shoots 3/4" @ 200. The other is a 300WSM 11. Never really shot very well until I put it in a stocky's thumbhole. And when I took it out of the accustock the last time the wedge was broken in half. It is kind of a pain to reassemble to get the wedge in there just right.

Cycler
02-15-2011, 11:25 AM
I just bought a new Model 16FHLSS Accustock in .243W (the shipping carton is stamped January 17, 2011 and the serial number is H197XXX) and it does not have the wedge. There is no hole in the stock for the wedge bolt, just the two action bolts. The owners manual that came with it gives removal and installation instructions for both types of stocks.

I haven't shot it yet as the weather has been too bad so I can't report on how well it shoots.

she said there is nothing wrong with the original version, they had to make a design change because it was too similar to someone elses design. (sounds fishy as well).
If that's the case Savage better have a talk with their legal department. They had to change the name of the "Edge" rifles to Axis because of a copyright violation and eliminate the wedge because of a patent violation? Someone isn't doing their homework.

gge515
02-15-2011, 10:42 PM
I have two rifles with the wedge. I wonder if the resale value will be affected in rifles with the WEDGE. Mine do shoot great.

z71rat
02-21-2011, 10:05 PM
I just picked up my 10PC last weekend, mine doesn't have the wedge either. I really like it this way, the bedding area and stock are super clean!!

DK

nomosendero
02-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Was something done to the new stock to make up for the wedge or was it not needed to begin with. This kind of stuff irrates me. I have been looking at getting a 10PC, but I don't know if the new "improvement" is where they will stop with the PC.

z71rat
02-25-2011, 04:19 PM
The slot that the recoil lug sits inside is fairly tight, so nothing really in the way of slop. The wedge part of the design is still there to hold the receiver, and I believe that is really all that was needed. Once the lug is pressed tight against the edge of the slot, there shouldn't be any lateral movement at all.

DK