PDA

View Full Version : Need new barrel nut or not?

11fcns
02-14-2011, 12:42 AM
i currently have a Savage with a sporter barrel. i'm thinking of replacing it with a varmint contour. will i need a new barrel nut or is the diameter of the barrel where it attaches the same for the sporter and varmint contour? thanks.

bootsmcguire
02-14-2011, 12:53 AM
It will be the same, the nut is the same threads that the receiver is so they will stay together. You can get replacement barrels in almost any countour to fit your gun. All you need to know is what shank size you have, and chances are you have a small shankmost guns are except for the factory WSM's, RUM's,etc. and the Target actions.

What caliber and model is you gun?

11fcns
02-14-2011, 12:57 AM
11FCNS in 22-250. would love to just find a replacement Savage sporter barrel for it. Northlander has a replacement varmint contour listed which is why i was asking. although if i got that barrel i would also need a new stock. pretty much turn my rifle into a 12 FCV.

GaCop
02-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Best stock for the money that is already set up for a heavy barrel is the B&C Duramaxx.

bootsmcguire
02-14-2011, 02:38 PM
+1 with GaCop.

You have a small shank and that should fit right on your action and nut. Duramaxx would be best buy, but check your screw spacing. If you have a 4.40" Centerfeed then you will ahve to modify the Duramaxx to fit. Stocky's Stocks has them on sale right now, $88 I think.

twarren
02-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Funny thing about Savages . When you switch one barrel it never seems to end.

11fcns
02-16-2011, 02:43 AM
+1 with GaCop.

You have a small shank and that should fit right on your action and nut. Duramaxx would be best buy, but check your screw spacing. If you have a 4.40" Centerfeed then you will ahve to modify the Duramaxx to fit. Stocky's Stocks has them on sale right now, $88 I think.

i do have the 4.40" centerfeed DBM stock. whats involved in modifying it, any links? thanks.

bootsmcguire
02-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Well basicly, you would wanna remove the pillar, plug the hole with epoxy and redrill for the pillar in the new position. That takes care of the screw spacing. The rear of the mag well will need the slot cut in it for the tab of the centerfeed mag, and since the mag well of the stagger feed is bigger than the CF you will wanna shim in the mag. A little trial and error but works pretty good.