PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 10FP repairs

aztec223
02-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Hello, I am new to this site, and I would really appreciate some help. About a year ago I fell into what I consider a good deal, I bought a 10FP .308 with the bolt missing for a good price and am finally getting around to fixing it. I have contacted Savage to get it replaced ($200.00 approx), and have also found out that it cannot be upgraded to Accutrigger or Accustock, OK, I admit I do not know a lot about Savage firearms. I am curious what you folks recommend I install to theoretically give me more accuracy at 500yds and beyond. The ser# starts with F88****, and the bbl and stock are in good condition, I have no idea of it's history prior to my purchasing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
???

Skunce
02-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Midway sells the bolts for under a $100, but they are out of stock until early March. Another way would be to collect all the parts and build a bolt. You will need to check your headspace when you get a bolt. A better trigger like the SSS comp would help improve your shooting along with hand loaded ammo tailored to your rifle.

aztec223
02-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks I will look into Midway!

ellobo
02-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Sounds to me like this will be primarily a hunting rifle. If so, I dont think the comp trigger is a good idea. If I am right and this will be a hunter he would be better off with an adjustable 3 screw trigger, which it probably already has, a Timney or the SSS standard replacement trigger. Personaly I would never use a 6 oz to 1 lb trigger on a pure hunting rifle. Its fine for long range prairy dog hunting or bench rest shooting but bit dangerous for hunting. My humble opinion.

El Lobo

aztec223
02-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Sounds to me like this will be primarily a hunting rifle. If so, I dont think the comp trigger is a good idea. If I am right and this will be a hunter he would be better off with an adjustable 3 screw trigger, which it probably already has, a Timney or the SSS standard replacement trigger. Personaly I would never use a 6 oz to 1 lb trigger on a pure hunting rifle. Its fine for long range prairy dog hunting or bench rest shooting but bit dangerous for hunting. My humble opinion.

El Lobo

Not necessarily a hunter per se, more of a bench gun and shooting from a hide for yotes and such. Thanks for the info though.

aztec223
02-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the help, ordered the bolt the other day, shipped yesterday. Ordered the extractor parts from Savage today, need to order gauges and get it together, I hope!

aztec223
03-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks again for the help and info, it is all ogether and ready to shoot, I hope, I think. Man I can't wait, I found out while I had it apart it has a Timney in it woo hoo!

Thanks again folks!!!
8) 8)

james86
03-10-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm glad you got it all set up. My brother just bought the same rifle and I've been shooting it and fiddling with it for the past week. He doesn't reload so he bought some factory Winchester ammo in the silver box (Super-X I think). He bought it with the 150gr. and 180gr. powerpoint bullets. We went to shoot it a few days ago and got it shooting 2.5"-5" groups at 100 yards. That's the best it would shoot. He was ready to return the gun so I told him I'd reload a few rounds and see if there was any difference. I loaded the winchester brass with cci primers, 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips, and H380, Varget, and H4350 powders. Went up yesterday and the best groups were down to .7" 3-shot groups. I don't mean to threadjack. I'm just saying, beware of factory ammo.

-James.

aztec223
03-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I plan on starting with some Hornady 178gr BT match ammo, 2820fps, hopefully it will give me a good starting point. Just with a 20" barrel I am concerned with the kick, guess we wil see what happens.

james86
03-10-2011, 01:01 AM
I was actually really surprised by the minimal recoil. I'm not sure if your stock has the soft rubber recoil pad or not, but the kick wasn't much worse than my .22-250. And keep me posted on your ammo and group sizes!

-James.

james86
03-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Hey aztec (and anyone else that cares for an update), my brother and I reloaded some more ammo for his 10fp. We decided his gun really likes H380, so you may want to try that out. We loaded 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with 48.7gr of H380 and 150gr Hornady SSTs with 49gr of H380. We got several groups around 0.5" at 100 yards. The best group we got was with the NBTs, a 0.491" group at 200 yards! That's a totally factory setup, no accurizing done at all.

BTW aztec, do you reload or is that Hornady stuff that you mentioned factory ammo?

-James.

aztec223
03-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Hey aztec (and anyone else that cares for an update), my brother and I reloaded some more ammo for his 10fp. We decided his gun really likes H380, so you may want to try that out. We loaded 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with 48.7gr of H380 and 150gr Hornady SSTs with 49gr of H380. We got several groups around 0.5" at 100 yards. The best group we got was with the NBTs, a 0.491" group at 200 yards! That's a totally factory setup, no accurizing done at all.

BTW aztec, do you reload or is that Hornady stuff that you mentioned factory ammo?

-James.

Shot mine on Sunday, with the Hornady factory 178s got a couple of good groups 1.5-2.0" @ 100yds, nothing great, but would definitely have been stopping shots. I am in the process of setting my reload area up as I have been kicked out of the laundry room where I was, women can't live with em, yeah that pretty much says it all. The recoil was pretty much as I had figured so I was not shocked with that, what did surprise me was that the LOP was shorter than I thought, so I am going to get a Limbsaver pad to put on it, that should eliminate most of the recoil and cure the LOP problem I think. Unless someone else has a better idea.
:D

aztec223
03-15-2011, 09:40 PM
"The recoil was pretty much as I had figured so I was not shocked with that, what did surprise me was that the LOP was shorter than I thought, so I am going to get a Limbsaver pad to put on it, that should eliminate most of the recoil and cure the LOP problem I think. Unless someone else has a better idea."

It may be time for those better ideas fellas, limbsaver does not make one for a 10 synthetic stock, unless I do a complete custom pad. Anyone else ever attempt to lengthen one? I am not against doing the custom pad, just do not want to spend the time right now, feels like spring has sprung here!
:-\