PDA

View Full Version : SOOOOOO I am nervous

Pages : [1] 2

Southernfryedyankee
10-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Tuesday will be the first time shooting my rifle after my first barrel switch and headspace job. Does anyone else get nervous. I used my go gauge and was able to close my bolt perfectly, not tight not loose I then added a piece of cellophane tape to the back of the go gauge and my bolt will not close. I feel confident that I did it right but I am still a lil nervous.

jlcpls
10-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Bring it here, I'll test it for you.

Southernfryedyankee
10-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks Jethro HAHA

I just rechecked the headspace gauge (pulled the ejector out again) and it will NOT close with the tape but will close with the naked headspace go gauge.

sinman
10-18-2009, 07:56 PM
First one, yes I was scared. First non savage barrel i rebarreled I was scared on to.

tropicmaster
10-18-2009, 07:59 PM
I was a little skeeeered today and a gunsmith did mine! lol

vermonter
10-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Just don't flinch - Whatever you do Just don't flinch.

Southernfryedyankee
10-18-2009, 08:04 PM
OMG you guys are killin me. I will be at a range so if I flinch ill only miss the target

BillPa
10-18-2009, 08:09 PM
The first one always makes ya kinda nervous, the first barrel swap too!

Ah, you'll be fine.

Blue Avenger
10-18-2009, 08:11 PM
your using the proper high pressure proof load to test, right?

Der Verge
10-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Tuesday will be the first time shooting my rifle after my first barrel switch and headspace job. Does anyone else get nervous. I used my go gauge and was able to close my bolt perfectly, not tight not loose I then added a piece of cellophane tape to the back of the go gauge and my bolt will not close. I feel confident that I did it right but I am still a lil nervous.

Invest in a long piece of string. That is what I did. You will be much less nervous :D

jlcpls
10-18-2009, 08:23 PM
STRING?!

C'mon, you know the routine. You set the gun in the bags, and make the crossing motion as you check "spectacles, testicles, cigarettes, lighter", then you take a deep breath as your buddy pulls the trigger.

BillPa
10-18-2009, 08:34 PM
STRING?!

C'mon, you know the routine. You set the gun in the bags, and make the crossing motion as you check "spectacles, testicles, cigarettes, lighter", then you take a deep breath as your buddy pulls the trigger.

Thats what I do, take a buddy along. I tell'm "Hey, run a few outta this thing while I get us a cup of coffee outta the truck".. If I hear the normal bang I know it was right. If I hear a Kaboom and blood curdling screams.....I go home.

Southernfryedyankee
10-18-2009, 08:43 PM

I will be using factory ammunition as I dont have anything else

pdog06
10-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Thats what I do, take a buddy along. I tell'm "Hey, run a few outta this thing while I get us a cup of coffee outta the truck".. If I hear the normal bang I know it was right. If I hear a Kaboom and blood curdling screams.....I go home.

LOL.. Thats funny Bill, but probably true also...

BillPa
10-18-2009, 08:57 PM

LOL.. Thats funny Bill, but probably true also...

Ah...ya knows me does ya? ;D

One day a few characters watched me swap a barrel out on a shoot'n bench. After get'n it buttoned up one asked how I test fire it, with a string? I didn't say a word, just slammed one in the go hole, aimed and fired. All he could muster was " Oh my GOD"! ;D

Blue Avenger
10-19-2009, 09:22 AM

Probably should not mess with ya like that, I was kidding, knowing you did not have any. but never gave a thought that you might try and make some. SORRY ! I don't want anyone hurt!

tammons
10-19-2009, 09:29 AM
First one I did, yes I was nervous.

Bottom line if the bolt closes easily on the go gage, and with 2 pieces of scotch tape it wont, you will be fine. That said its best to use a nogo gage.

What makes me nervous a bit is loading a new round with no load info.

jlcpls
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM

Probably should not mess with ya like that, I was kidding, knowing you did not have any. but never gave a thought that you might try and make some. SORRY ! I don't want anyone hurt!

Didn't stop you when you told me that I had to perform that voodoo chicken killing ritual at the range before I fired my first barrel swap.

Man was that a show. To be honest, I couldn't catch the chicken, so I just shot it with the gun.

BrentWin
10-19-2009, 10:33 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/brentwin/witchdoctor1.jpg

Jo boo! Protect this barrel from the evil spirits of copper fouling, throat erosion and spontaneous explosion.

Jo boo! We also ask that you shield Mrs. Jethro's eyes from its presence so that she may never know of its existence.

Eric in NC
10-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Just wear shooting glasses and you will be safe even if the headspace is WAY off (but it isn't based on what you have said). The modern Savage action will keep you safe from anything other than an INSANE handload or wrong cartridge in the chamber.

I get a lot more nervous when I squeeze off the first shot of a 577 Snider, old trapdoor, or damascus hammer gun (I do all of those with the two tire and string method, but the first shot from my hands is always a bit pulse pounding).