PDA

View Full Version : SOOOOOO I am nervous

Pages : 1 [2]

BobT
10-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I was kinda scared when I touched off the first shot from my .270/08 AI. Not much load data to start with. My usual routine - check ear plugs, check safety glasses, put ear muffs on, point rifle down range, close eyes and pull trigger. So far so good, the Savage action is pretty stout and has pretty good gas control features in case you blow a case head or primer. You should be fine.

FWIW I was at a dealer friends house when a guy came in with a 110 .270 that the bolt would not open on. he said he had shot and killed a deer then couldn't get the bolt open. After pounding the bolt open with an oak mallet we found what was left of a 7mm/08 case in the chamber! I guess he loaded the gun in the dark and didn't pay attention to what he was doing, the extractor apparently held the case well enough to ignite the primer. He was not even aware that something was drastically wrong, much less injured. I can only guess what the chamber pressure must have been. I do have my doubts that he killed the deer but no doubts about the Savage!

Bob

pdog06
10-19-2009, 12:59 PM
First one I did I pointed the gun at the target like you would with any initial sight-in, then sat straight up, looked away from the gun, and pulled the trigger. I hit about 6 inches low and to the right of the bullseye....Go figure.

I've never done this with a factory built gun though, and the guns we build are probably put together better than alot of the ones that come from the factory.

I guess we arent questioning the rifle, just our ability to put it together correctly...LOL

arc1847
10-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Same as with pdog... I first started reloading for 7mm Rem Mag about a year ago using 30 year old primed brass and 30 year old Sierra 160gr SPBTs that were left over from my father's reloading days. New powder obviously.

First reloaded round I fired was at the range with my brother-in-law. Settled in at the bench, took a couple of deep breaths, flipped off the safety, and then glanced down at the back end of the bolt right in front of my face. Thought for a few seconds about my reloading procedure... flipped the safety back on and thought for a few more seconds, sat up straight away from the rifle and thought for a few more seconds... looked at my brother-in-law and he asked "Any last words?"

Touched off the first one with my head up and away from the receiver. No problems so I settled in and fired a 3 shot group at 1.1 inches at 100yds out of a 1965 Remington 700 (also my dad's gun). Haven't looked back.

There is no shame in a little healthy respect for the power of the weapons we're using.

tacticalworks
10-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Let us know how it shoots!! Good to hear its ready to shoot.

Blue Avenger
10-20-2009, 09:07 AM
your using the proper high pressure proof load to test, right?

I will be using factory ammunition as I dont have anything else

Probably should not mess with ya like that, I was kidding, knowing you did not have any. but never gave a thought that you might try and make some. SORRY ! I don't want anyone hurt!

Didn't stop you when you told me that I had to perform that voodoo chicken killing ritual at the range before I fired my first barrel swap.

Man was that a show. To be honest, I couldn't catch the chicken, so I just shot it with the gun.

Cool and did if 'FLUFF" the chicken, turn it inside out, "red mist" or just fall over dead because you scared it. These "sign's" will predict the future LOL

handirifle
10-20-2009, 11:54 PM
your using the proper high pressure proof load to test, right?

I will be using factory ammunition as I dont have anything else

He was kidding!! ;)!! Boy are you gullable ::). A proof load is MUCH higher pressures than one you will, hopefully :o, ever load. That is if you use the manuals.

tbartley
10-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Hey Southernfryedyankee...if you weren't nervous about it, you probably wouldn't have been paying attention to what you were doing either. Truth be told...all of us were nervous the first time we did a barrel swap ourselves. You read all the excellent instruction and advice on this website, ask the questions you're not sure of and then "the proof is in the pudding" when trigger goes to the rear. I think you've done your job as you should and it sounds like you are right on the money. I have no doubts that, all Murphy variables aside, your gun will fire as expected...just fine. My first barrel swap was checked, rechecked, checked again and then again. After the first one, the tension will leave with each successful swap (because you'll do it over and over and over ;) ). The thing is to not get lax in your methods. With each swap, check, recheck, check again, etc. to make sure. I haven't delved into any of the new actions. I have model 10s and 12s, all stagger fed and enjoy them. I've made all the modifications that I want on my various rifles with the exception of a stock swap now and then. Oh yeah, by the way, I love my SAVAGE rifles! :)
tyronne

jlcpls
10-21-2009, 12:51 PM
YESTERDAY was Tuesday.

Did he fire it?

Is he alive?

Yo, yankster?

Blue Avenger
10-21-2009, 02:18 PM
??? now one at his house has logged in since 3:30 pm yesterday

jlcpls
10-21-2009, 02:36 PM
I emailed him. He's alive.

Says his buddy is expecting some medical equipment though.

jlcpls
10-21-2009, 02:37 PM
OK,
he didn't get to shoot cause his buddy was expecting a shipment.

But the first version made you think.

SFY, if you're in SC, and you haven't fired it by Monday, I'm coming down there and taking it into protective custody, whereupon I will shoot it until the barrel glows.

Southernfryedyankee
10-21-2009, 02:47 PM
I am still alive AND I TRULY appreciate all the concern. My neighbor who I went hunting with had surgery a few months back and for some reason the bone didnt heal correctly. He was set to recieve a piece of medical equipment after 4pm but the guy ended being in town early to be at his house for 12pm so needless to say I didnt make it to the shooting AND had to leave the woods early. OH and my baby is due within the next 13 days so if I dont answer emails or if I am not on for a little bit The baby probably arrived.