PDA

View Full Version : Model 110 .223 Conversion from a .30-06

308_holes
02-12-2011, 09:55 PM
I had planned on building a .300 Whisper or Blackout on a Remington 700 with a 16.25” 1 turn in 7” barrel dedicated suppressed subsonic loads. A year ago I had a friend give me an old Savage 110D Series K .30-06 that had been redneck pampered so the stock was next to destroyed and the magazine latch hardware was gone with the bent hinge plate hanging open. It was my first encounter with a Savage and the first thing I noticed was the simplicity of the barrel nut. I’ve built AR15s and an LR-308 after selling off my Mini-14 and MN Springfield M1a because re-barreling is quick and easy with the AR platform. With the Savage I quickly realized that we have a bolt gun with the same ease of re-barreling feature. For what I thought were obvious reasons (it being a long action) I didn’t consider the 110 for the .300 Blackout build but I decided to build it on a Model 10 action with a .378 bolt face which led me to this forum. After reading some posts it appears that this old long action will do the trick if I can locate the parts but I’m not real sure what I’m looking for to convert it to the old long action .223 configuration other then the bolt swap.

The decision I’m considering is this: If locating the conversion parts is to expensive and or they are to hard to locate I will instead mill the inside of the receiver rails to fit AR-15 magazines and build a magazine well out of a 30% AR15 lower. When finished the magwell and floorplate will be a single integrated aesthetically pleasing part but I want to weigh the costs.

Are the old .223 long action configuration parts reasonably easy to locate? And can someone tell me what I need?

Regards: CW

BoilerUP
02-12-2011, 10:23 PM
I too would be interested in the parts required to convert an older long-action 110 to work with a .223.

82boy
02-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Are the old .223 long action configuration parts reasonably easy to locate?
Nope, more like a needle in a haystack.

Sharp Shooters Supply, is the only company I know of that offers a change over kit that would allow the use of the newer short action bolt head on the long action bolt. Without it, you would have a dangerous condition, due to having too long of firering pin protrusion.

308_holes
02-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Are the old .223 long action configuration parts reasonably easy to locate?
Nope, more like a needle in a haystack.

Sharp Shooters Supply, is the only company I know of that offers a change over kit that would allow the use of the newer short action bolt head on the long action bolt. Without it, you would have a dangerous condition, due to having too long of firering pin protrusion.

Thanks 82boy... This is the kind of answers I'm looking for! I'll do the bolt conversion through Sharp Shooters Supply to keep it painless. As far as magazine conversion parts I looked at The Gun Parts Corporation schematics and I don't see any magazine blocks even mentioned but I see mention of them here, am I missing something?

82boy
02-12-2011, 11:27 PM
The old Savage (223) 110's (Prior to the 2nd, and 3rd gen short action.) used a long action bolt head, but the action was much different and the magazine box was cut shorter into the action. With that said if you want a working magazine on your long action to feed 223s you will have to custom make it. You can either take a short action 223 magazine box, and extend the tabs to fin into the long action, or you can take and place a filler block in the back of the long action magazine, and use a short action follower, you would then need to modify the feed lips to make it all work. Any way you cut it it just is a lot of work.

My suggestion is to sell the action, and buy a Stevens 200 short action. (Basically the same thing you have, only a newer version, but a short action.) Northland sells Stevens 200 actions for $235. You will save your self a ton of headaches, and possible a lot of money.

ellobo
02-13-2011, 02:22 AM
Just a reminder. that old action will have a flat back reciever which will require a proper scope base. Mine is a weaver. Whichever way your stick floats, good luck. Take 82 boys advice and get a short action from Jim Briggs at Northander. He advertises here. Jim also sells the older 3 screw trigger (Savage) that can be adjusted to a decent hunting pull wgt. of 3 lbs. A little less if you replace the straight wire spring with something smaller in dia. I forget the right dia sping wire size so hopefully 82 boy will chime in again.

El Lobo

308_holes
02-13-2011, 03:05 AM
I'm going with your advice... I didn't realize that the Stevens was that inexpensive but it raises an off topic question: will the 200 fit in to a Savage Centerfeed Short Action stock with 4.411 inches screw to screw?

The roundback will be much easier to add MOA to the rail, I'm starting with 30 but with a trajectory like a rainbow I'm sure I'll have to increase to get all my clicks.

BoilerUP
02-13-2011, 07:48 AM
will the 200 fit in to a Savage Centerfeed Short Action stock with 4.411 inches screw to screw?

Yup.

82boy
02-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Savage and Stevens re the same thing, the Savage just has a couple extra machining steps for the accu-trigger.

ellobo The size wire people have used for trigger springs is .040

308_holes
02-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks Gentlemen. I've never been much of a bolt gun guy but the design of this rifle is making me a convert. I'll keep the 110D for a later project, I think I've caught the Savage Fever....

ellobo
02-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks 82 boy, I will add it to my notes. .040 dia spring wire.

El Lobo