PDA

View Full Version : How often do you switch barrels?

mugsie
02-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I have several savage rifles, in .223, & .308. I wanted to build my own, so I picked up a 300 Rem Mag, changed about everything and ended up with a .260 Rem version (6.5mm). This rifle is sweet!

So - the original intent was to build this on a long action then swap barrels as I wanted, changing from one to another virtually at will. Problem is - I like the rifle so much I find I'm not wanting to swap barrels - I want to build another and another and another....

Here's the question - how many of you have built switch barrel rifles only to find you're not swapping barrels? How many of you do swap and how often. My shooting is strictly paper, from 100 to 600 yards (if that's any help).

csam
02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Switch barrels do nothing to satisfy the urge to buy more rifles. Only way to scratch that itch, is to buy more rifles. I have a flair for the obvious.

Theoretically, switching a lot is not good for the rifle, I think you would have to do a ton of switching to actually see that, but once you get it dialed in, it is tougher to want to do anything to it for fear of tweaking something in the wrong direction - at least for me.

Hammer
02-10-2011, 09:31 PM

I never switch barrels more often than necessary.

pdog06
02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
I know what youre saying. I have had a couple built as switch barrels, but when I get one of the barrels shooting really good I usually end up leaving it alone and buying another action for the other barrel...

matter of fact it just happened to me again this week. ::). I had an action and stock that I was using as a base for a 223 and 308 switch barrel setup. I have swapped them around a few times, but the last time out the 223 really shined. I pulled it off to put the 308 on for deer season, never shot it during the season, and pulled the 308 back off now that deer season is over. Now I am putting the 223 on it and leaving it alone......For now ;). So earlier this week I bought an action off a friend(that used to be mine anyways ::)) to put the 308 barrel on(plus whatever barrels I come up with).

So as of now the 308 on the new action is now my switch gun if i get another barrel down the road, and then the cycle starts all over again..... :D

hotbrass
02-10-2011, 09:40 PM
I have three complete rifles and I only switch my 308 to a 243 barrel for my son to shoot. Very seldom.

Hammer
02-10-2011, 11:36 PM

I have never switched barrels more than five times within a single five-shot group.

Hammer
02-10-2011, 11:40 PM

I deny the vicious rumor that I one time tried to switch barrels in-between the time the firing pin struck the primer and the time the bullet exited the muzzle.

Nefarioud
02-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Hammer, that's funny.

I'm like the other guys. I usually designate an action as the "experimental" action. But inevitably, I get a set up that works really well and then I'm afraid to mess with it.

I'm going broke buying stocks, so I'm really hoping that Whidden thing works out so I can have one stock and switch barreled actions.

csam
02-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Everyone says the will be comfortable with it, then the other barrels start getting jelous.