Weight, grains: 117.0
Core Density, lb/ci-in: 0.4097
Core Weight, grains: 83.0
Jacket Density, lb/ci-in: 0.32
Jacket weight, lb/ci-in: 34.0
Ogive Radius, calibers: 13.0
Meplat Diameter, inches: 0.07
BC (static): 0.6502

I received a call today from Benchmark regarding an upcoming moose hunt. I learned during the call that they have started offering Nitriding to their customers.
Not only that, they are driving across the border into Canada and building up a supply of Matrix bullets. http://matrixballistics.com/.243-caliber-rifle-bulltes.html

Some of the guys are shooting these bullets and they will flatout bughole. Actual B.C. shooting tests have been conducted and the B.C. are right on what is advertised. They shoot best .010-.020 off the lands! Price looks quite good for a precision bullet.

I was advised that they are more interested at this time in the small caliber bullets and are a bit enemic in their selection of 338 and larger diameter bullets. They recommend Cutting Edge bullets for the larger calibers.

Just information

Neal

MDM
02-11-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm interested in the 107g with a BC of .595. This is way above everyone else in that weight excluding the JLKs. That would be awesome it the actual G1 is as advertised.

snipecatcher
02-11-2011, 12:34 PM
.277 caliber VLD hunting bullets
top of page
.277 calibre 165GR VLD rifle bullet Caliber Inches: .277
Weight, grains: 165.0
Core Weight, grains: 118.3
Jacket weight, lb/ci-in: 46.7
Meplat Diameter, inches: 0.06
BC (static): 0.7381

.277 165GR VLD
$47/100 PCS

.277-cailbre-175GR-VLD-rifle-bullet Caliber Inches: .277
Weight, grains: 175.0
Core Weight, grains: 126.3
Jacket weight, lb/ci-in: 48.7
Meplat Diameter, inches: 0.06
BC (static): 0.7828

.277 175GR VLD
$48/100 PCS

A source for high BC .277 bullets!?

WYcoyote
02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
I just called Benchmark today and my 6.5-284 Norma Savage pre-fit barrel was done and they were just about to package and ship it, I hit them up about nitriding it, $100. and one week.
Perfect timing, thanks Neal.

geargrinder
02-11-2011, 08:51 PM
$100 extra for nitriding? Thats a bit higher than I've seen from other sources.

358Hammer
02-11-2011, 09:10 PM
I will enjoy having and sharing others velocities and load data! A bit lonely out there currently. Check with Chris @ Benchmark and how he likes the Nitride on his 280AI. Think he mentioned something about 2800fps and that 190 gr Matrix bullet. What he did say several times was the accuracy.

I did order a box of a hundred 6.5 high BC bullets and a box of those .308 750BC bullets to try with my 300RUM. Chris advised me they ( Matrix)are in the test stage of a higher BC 6.5 bullet and it or they are suppose to be out this spring.

We had a good badgering phone call this afternoon when I teased the owner of Matrix about an .800BC 270 bullet when no one was competing with a 270. In looking at some of their stuff a bit closer. The hunting bullets are the one's with higher BC if I remember correctly. Anyway I was assured the 6.5 high BC bullets will be here shortly. If we have nearly .800bc for a 270 bullet then I wonder what is coming for that 6.5.

I am working hard putting as many rounds down the Nitrided tube of my 6.5 WSM. Will be a good test with those new 6.5 Matrix bullets to see how well they shoot from a barrel that should have over 500 rounds through it by May.

Neal

WYcoyote
02-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Well? How much more? (shipped)

WYcoyote
02-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Check with Chris @ Benchmark and how he likes the Nitride on his 280AI. Think he mentioned something about 2800fps and that 190 gr Matrix bullet. What he did say several times was the accuracy.

Neal

He told me .3 MOA. And yes, 2800 something fps. Wow.

geargrinder
02-11-2011, 10:58 PM

Well? How much more? (shipped)

$40 more.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2072066#Post2072066

WYcoyote
02-11-2011, 11:08 PM
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2072066#Post2072066

+ shipping it looks like, probably 2 ways. and have to coordinate a group buy.
The bottom line is probably $20 or less. I can live with that.

yorketransport
02-12-2011, 03:10 AM
I will enjoy having and sharing others velocities and load data! A bit lonely out there currently. Check with Chris @ Benchmark and how he likes the Nitride on his 280AI. Think he mentioned something about 2800fps and that 190 gr Matrix bullet. What he did say several times was the accuracy.

Chris is very happy with that 280 AI. He mentioned it a few times while I was on the phone with him earlier this week. ;D That's one of the reasons I'm going to have them Nitride my 6BR barrel that they're making for me.

Andrew

geargrinder
02-12-2011, 03:29 AM

+ shipping it looks like, probably 2 ways. and have to coordinate a group buy.
The bottom line is probably $20 or less. I can live with that.

You don't have to go through the group buy. Contact MMI direct. I bet it's still cheaper than $100 even with shipping.

358Hammer
02-12-2011, 04:13 AM
FYI Not everyone is reputable and trustworthy.
The first person that turned me onto Nitride charged me $80. per barrel and $140. for a barreled action. I got the first barreled action back in a 3 week period. Though I was told through a telephone call when the next batch was done, it took 4 months and some serious threats from me and others to get a bunch of stuff back to me.
Ever been told six weeks to get something done and 6 months later you still haven't got it? I could not live with the price, no contact and no reason why it took so long.

Next was my wood cutter who I already gave the information on. I do not know what he will charge you because the $45. he quoted me I paid for each of three barrels. I ask if you find that he is jacking up the price to let me know.Benchmark came slightly after me on round one and they two sat and waited months for barrels to return. That may be somewhat spendy for mine or others taste but they have apparently gone with someone who is getting those barrels back in a timely manner. They are honorable and great people to deal with so they can worry about where our barrels are.

If my barreled action doesn't every rust or wear out and looks like a million it is definitely worth the price of a worthless blueing job. Not sure what people charge these days for blueing but memory says $150. for a basic and $400. for the best. Nitride lookes like a $400. blue job.
If guys (and they are) are getting 60,000 rounds out of their M16's shooting military 55gr ball ammo, how many rounds can we get from a 6BR?

In my experience it is a good thing to have a larger company looking out for our stuff. MMI or whomever will normally take great pains to make sure they do not loose a good customer like Benchmark by not getting the job done in a timely manner.

NOTE: I just picked up another 300 RUM barrel because the Nitrided one I am shooting does not have a long enough lead to shoot any bullet over 180grain. For those of you Nitriding before you get the barrel. It might be a good idea to have a loaded round for your smith to use for setting up the gun. He will not be very happy with you if you take a short throated barrel in after Nitriding and not tell him how hard the steel is.

Neal

yorketransport
02-12-2011, 12:38 PM
NOTE: I just picked up another 300 RUM barrel because the Nitrided one I am shooting does not have a long enough lead to shoot any bullet over 180grain. For those of you Nitriding before you get the barrel. It might be a good idea to have a loaded round for your smith to use for setting up the gun. He will not be very happy with you if you take a short throated barrel in after Nitriding and not tell him how hard the steel is.

I bet that's the last time the smith would ever touch one of your guns if you did that. ;)

Andrew

ESSCEE
02-21-2011, 04:17 AM
Hey Neal;

What does the nitride look like if you have a mix of molly and SS does it coat or cover the two the same or will you be able to tell you have lets say a SS recoil lug and a molly action and barrel? Or does the nitriding even work on SS?

Thanks
Scott

358Hammer
02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Both Stainless and Moly turn out the same color.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/Patriot338NewLook.jpg

Neal

WYcoyote
02-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Hey Neal;

What does the nitride look like if you have a mix of molly and SS does it coat or cover the two the same or will you be able to tell you have lets say a SS recoil lug and a molly action and barrel? Or does the nitriding even work on SS?

Thanks
Scott

Good question, I have a blue 111 action and bought a SS recoil lug and barrel nut for my new SS Benchmark barrel, but now I'm getting that nitrided and it may look a little goofy now.

358Hammer
02-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Send the other parts in and have them treated as well.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/FerraticNitride001.jpg

Stainless action Nitride barrel.

Neal

memilanuk
02-23-2011, 09:19 AM
I thought I'd read at least one of the places that initially offered the nitriding process (via an accomplished Benchrest shooter who had an 'in') for barrels highly recommended that you got the barrel broken in, or whatever you want to call the first 20-100rds that polishes off the burrs & tooling marks resulting from chambering that nice hand-lapped barrel... BEFORE having the barrel nitrided, because otherwise it would basically be near impossible to do...

Anyone here have experience one way or another along those lines?

358Hammer
02-23-2011, 10:37 AM
The one's that have been doing this with barrels just do not seem to be talking much. I can guess they like the velocity increase over the next guy so do not want to let the cat out of the bag??

I have done 4-5 barrels each way personally. Broke in barrel before Nitriding. Nitrided Benchmark and Factory Savage barrels before shooting. They both shot the very well. Think I have nine barrels Nitrided now and the worst thing to happen is I had to switch from Reloader 17 on two of the barrels to H4831. I might add that the velocity had really stepped up and I felt I needed to go to a slower burning powder to bughole again. It worked both time. In fact the 19" 300 RUM barrel really liked H1000 and 180gr bullets.

Each of us has had that sweet barrel that just won time after time. It is always a bummer when it needs to be replaced. What a wonderful feeling to find a 2-5 thousand round sweet shooting barrel?

Neal