PDA

View Full Version : Adding weight to a new stock

DblTapp
02-10-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm building out a Mod 10 fp LE1 in .308 and putting a Choate Tachtical Stock on it. With everything loaded on it my weight is about 11.6 lbs. and I want to jack it up about 5 lbs. with some lead shot. I notice that the pistol grip and the buttstock are hollow and seem like a great place to stuff the shot and lock it in with expansion foam to keep it from moving around.Mostly for Target and long range. but I don't want to load it up to the 18# limit if I can avoid it. Any Opinions??

tammons
02-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Lead flashing, cut it and roll it up and stuff it where ever.
Shove it in the voids and stuff whatever you can find in to keep it in place.

If you flatten it out you can get some in the foregrip too.

Nor Cal Mikie
02-10-2011, 04:05 PM
I just found out that a blind mag well will only hold about 15 oz. of lead shot. I thought it would be much heavier? ???
The lead flashing sounds like a better solution to adding weight. Or, melt and form lead into a block like the shape of the mag well? Drill the butt stock and insert solid lead sticks about 1/2" OD?

DblTapp
02-10-2011, 05:02 PM
In this stock both the buttstock and grip are hollow so lots of room but shot can be pored into either area easily. I just dont want it rattling around loose in there. So I thought the spray in expanding foam would work pretty well holding it in Place...

Nor Cal Mikie
02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
What I did in the mag well (single shot action) was to pour the shot into a heavy plastic bag. Thick enough to hold the shot but light enough to form to the shape of the mag well. Filled it up, taped it closed and the action holds the bag in place.
Foam would make it more or less a permanent fix?? If the weight is bagged with packing of some kind to hold it in place, it can be removed later. Plan ahead. ;)

SWN
02-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I put almost 5 lbs in my tupperware stock.Used 1/4 inch pencil lead cut 1/4 inch long. Bout the size of 00 buck. Makes a bit of noise, but its not permanent. :)