PDA

View Full Version : Adding Iron Sights to Stevens 200?

classic.rocker978
02-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Anyone done this? I'm thinking about buying a stevens 200 and getting some kind of Iron sights installed... How much does this normally cost? I doubt I could do it myself. I'd like to shoot up to 200 yards and I'm not really sure which style iron sights is best.

I can hit milk jugs easy at 100 yards with the common factory sights on most rifles. What is the most effective iron sights in a hunting situation?

Appleseed
02-10-2011, 09:00 AM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,30070.0.html

Couple of examples on this link. Williams makes some rear sights, both open and peep. One of these is a front band by NECG.

classic.rocker978
02-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I think I'm looking more for an Aperture style sight setup... I would want to shoot anywhere up to 300 yards when hunting. What is the best compromise between ease of use and accuracy?

I've never really looked at open sights before but I figured I would build up a stevens action into a fun little, iron sights gun. I know the guys at the range would be impressed if I was shooting 500 yards or so without a scope.

I also like the reliability of iron sights. Just wanting to try something different...

If you guys have any experience can you suggest me a good front and rear iron sight to suit my needs?

Appleseed
02-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Williams has several rear aperture sights with inserts, good to that yardage. There is another post here from one of Team Savage members about setting up a palma rifle, a great help for your project. Check Eric's post, shoots his to 1000 yrds.

The Williams & Lyman rear aperture sights need only a mounting base. I think the Williams base can be used for the Lyman sight, pre-drilled for the savage receiver. Has windage and elevation, less than $100. There are more expensive, check the palma post.

Unless you want to solder, epoxy, drill, or mill the barrel, a banded front base is about all that is available for a sporter barrel. The front sight will be the holdup unless you aren't ever going to switch barrels.

If never changing barrels: solder, epoxy, drill, or mill the barrel and permanently attach the front sight base and add your choice of sight. Williams has a good sizing chart to marry the front and rear sights plus the base height. Just like scope bases, if these aren't matched you will run out of elevation adjustment shooting long ranges. http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,29498.msg240206/topicseen.html#msg240206

Also, use the search function here and type in palma.

bigedp51
02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
And to think I sold off most of my Enfield rifles because they don't make braille sights for people with chronological gifted eyesight. ::)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/100_1680.jpg

Why don't you just order the sights from a Savage scout rifle and keep it simple.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/10fcmscout.png

classic.rocker978
02-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Guess I never thought of that... lol

I'll check into ordering the scout sites. Why do we over complicate everything when the answer can be so simple?!

Actually after looking around where do I check into getting the scout sites? I dont have a serial number for the parts finder...

Appleseed
02-11-2011, 09:08 AM
You still have to affix the front ramp. If you don't plan on changing barrels, no problem. If you are, you probably will need the banded ramp.

Maybe someone here will comment on the Savage rear versus the Williams. It's good to be able to change the aperture. Does the savage sight make windage and elevation adjustments easily?

Eric in NC
02-11-2011, 11:59 AM
The sight in the link Appleseed posted is indeed an aperture sight (my rifle - I installed the Williams aperture sight). The rear sight on the scout rifle is (I am pretty sure) also a Williams aperture sight.

The NECG banded front is the easiest way to install a front sight but there are a ton of other options.

classic.rocker978
02-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Can you give a link to the proper Williams aperture sight, there are a lot of different options on there website and I'm not experienced enough to know which one I might want.

:(

Eric in NC
02-11-2011, 01:13 PM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16154/Make-Model_1038=Savage+Arms%7c110/Product/_WGRS__RECEIVER_SIGHTS#skugrid

Not quick "click" adjustment like you get with military or match sights, but a "no drill" option that works well.

classic.rocker978
02-11-2011, 01:33 PM
How would I mount that? Is there an existing hole it lines up with or just epoxy of some sort?

Eric in NC
02-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Mounts in rear scope base holes - screws into existing holes.

classic.rocker978
02-11-2011, 01:48 PM
That would be pretty convenient. Just use a normal NECG banded front sight to go with it?

tammons
02-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Next questions ?

Do they make them for flat backs.

Which height front sight do you select ??
Is there a rule of thumb of some sort ??

I would assume it would be somewhat level with the rear sight ??

Blue Avenger
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
How would I mount that? Is there an existing hole it lines up with or just epoxy of some sort?
the rear uses the scope base holes. The front, normally silver solder for attaching things you may want off someday if you don't want to drill and tap or dovetail.

Blue Avenger
02-11-2011, 03:20 PM
front option http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9656/Product/_MASTERPIECE__BANDED_FRONT_RAMP

Eric in NC
02-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Next questions ?

Yes they make them for flat backs - midway has them in stock.

There is a formula and chart on Brownells site to determine the height of your front sight. The NECG band (which Blue posted a link to) has the advantage of interchangeable front blades (but they do get PRICEY!).

The NECG band is a slip/press fit with a set screw (you can silver solder it too) so you need to pick the diameter that works for your barrel.

Lots of other options but I really HATE tapping blind holes in barrels!

Appleseed
02-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Next questions ?

Use Williams quick cheat sheet page in the catalogue, it has the rear sights offered with the correct front base height, this varies with muzzle dia. As explained to me, try to get the rear sight height lined with the front band plus bead... as even as possible... till the rear one is near no elevation adjustment at 100yrds. That gives you plenty of elevation clicks to go out to longer yardages.

Or, call Williams and ask for tech support. I can't remember the gentleman's name, but ask him to help you size them.

I think the FP series rear sights are the ones you are looking for with the savage base mount, screws right on. There are several FP's to choose from. Eric has the idea with the front band imo.

I think Williams will fit these for you at their shop for $75?