PDA

View Full Version : 110 bolt head "Q"

red caddy
10-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi all, I guess I'm just another newbie with a question but I've been lurking here for a while and the knowledge base on this board is amazing, Here's the story.

I was brought a 110 in .270 WIN for repair, The story goes: "I was shooting at the range and the bolt handle is stuck... oh yea, the last round was really loud" This guy was shooting up some reloads he got when he bought the rifle, used.

I had to put the action in a vise and use a cheater to turn the bolt, then beat the bolt back far enough to pry out the case. The primer stayed on the bolt face, flowed into the firing pin hole, and the head stamp is unreadable. The case head did not separate.

After seeing the case carnage, I've come to the conclusion that Savage actions are way stronger than I thought.

I stripped the bolt and found the extractor, spring and ball detent still in place, and the ejector plunger stuck way back in the bolt head. when I drove out the ejector retaining pin, the plunger stayed stuck in the bolt head and has resisted all my attempts to remove it. Brass has flowed around the "extractor clip" and it won't move either. firing pin is OK and the rest of the bolt shows no damage.

How do I best repair the damage done by this serious overload. (what I need is a "seeing eye dog" to talk me through this repair as I have very little hands on experience with The 110. If ya type real slow, I follow instructions real good, LOL)

Thanks, Paul.

geargrinder
10-18-2009, 04:37 PM
There may be damage to the action. The bolt head lugs may have set back the abutments. I'd remove the barrel and check before I'd bother working on the bolt head.

As for the bolt head. I'd just replace it. It just sacrificed it's life for yours.

Blue Avenger
10-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Need to look in here........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/30mqxir.jpg