PDA

View Full Version : Need help with bolt!

efm77
02-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Okay I'm kinda in a pickle! I just finished putting a barrel on my latest model 116 project. I took the firing pin and put the bolt handle back on to set the headspace. Then when I go to put the firing pin back in I notice that I can't get the retaining bolt to thread back in the back. It looks like the firing pin has become uncocked somehow when it was taken apart. I've never had this happen before when I've removed the firing pins. The little sleeve that goes over the back of the firing pin won't go down all the way so that the retaining bolt can catch the threads. How do I get it cocked so that I can get the retaining bolt to go back in? It looks like something got out of alignment because it took some work to get the slots to line up on the sleeve and firing pin (if that makes sense). What do I do? Thanks in advance for any advice.

bootsmcguire
02-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I think you may be off on that. I think you want it in the fired position as it should expose more threads. I'll take one of mine apart and double check here.

bootsmcguire
02-09-2011, 11:34 PM
yup, with the rear threaded bolt out, put the "button" on the side of the bolt in the down in the bottom of the V notch, then replace handle and install threaded bolt. Recock "button" by pushing down on the button on theedge of a table or workbench.

hope that helps.

efm77
02-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Thanks. That's what I tried but couldn't get it to cock. I've always re-installed the pin in the bottom of the cocking cam in the fired position but the spring wasn't unloaded (dry fired) and the button easily went over into the cocked notch in the cocking cam. It seems like the sleeve that goes over the back of the firing pin isn't sliding down far enough. I'll keep trying to get it cocked though. Thanks for the help. Any suggestions on an easier way to get it cocked once it's together?

efm77
02-10-2011, 08:20 AM
OK so I got it to work this morning. I was able to push the cocking pin over with the side of a flat head screwdriver and got it back together. But my pre-accutrigger model has never been that hard. It's the like the spring stays cocked when it's disassembled and goes right back into place with ease. This one is an accutrugger model. Did Savage change something with the firing pin spring? Also I had to slightly turn the notched piece in front of the hole the cocking pin goes in in order to get everything to line up. I did not adjust anything when taking it apart but when putting it back together it was out of alignment. Would this do anything to affect firing pin protrusion?

jglover_81
02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
The back side of the firing pin assembly does not effect the protrusion.... you must make sure the cocking sleeve lines up with the silver piece on the assembly with the notches if not that piece will break.... mine did..

efm77
02-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Good that makes me feel better. Thanks for the info. I've never had one get the notches out of alignment before so I've never had to turn one before, although it was very very little to get it to line up.

efm77
03-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Ok I know this thread is kinda old but I was looking at this bolt again today and it still kinda bothers me. Can't help but wonder if something's wrong with it. I haven't fired the rifle yet. But my other two Savages will allow me to start the rear bolt in with the pin in the cocked position. In other words, there's enough threads inside the back of the bolt body above the cocking sleeve to allow the bolt to start with it in the cocked position. But this third one that I have won't do that. I haven't made any adjustments to the firing pin, I only took it apart to clean/lubricate it and when trying to put it back together, it won't go like the others. I have to put it in the fired position to get the bolt started and then force it into the cocked position with a screwdriver to get it cocked and finish threading the rear bolt. It's a real PITA. I'm wondering if the rear nut on the firing pin spring is back too far and the spring isn't compressed enough to allow reliable firing. I guess I'll find that out when I get to shoot it. Thoughts, suggestions?

bootsmcguire
03-17-2011, 09:34 PM
I have had close to a dozen Savage actions in just the past couple years and worked on several of my friends rigs and from that I can say its about 50/50. Some I have had to have in fire position and the others I could start the threads in the cocked position.

Blue Avenger
03-17-2011, 09:39 PM
most of mine will not start. release the pin, turn the screw in a thread or two and reset the pin while it is easy to do, then finish tightening the screw.

efm77
03-18-2011, 08:32 AM
So it's not something to worry about then? I was beginning to think something was wrong with this one. Thanks for the info guys.

efm77
04-19-2011, 06:02 AM
How do you relieve the firing pin spring pressure from the front nut to be able to adjust the firing pin protrusion? I've tried several searches and can't find anything with a clear description.

jglover_81
04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Hold the firing pin with the pin side pointing up. Take a pair of wire strippers or some type of thin plyers and grab the spring a few winds down from the top and press down and the lock nut will slide down so you can adjust the front nut

efm77
04-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks jglover! I was thinking about trying that.