PDA

View Full Version : Longer shots for newbie varmint shooters

Hammer
10-18-2009, 02:06 PM
This topic does not apply to those who routinely shoot prairie dogs at distances over 300 yards. Y'all don't need no one messing with your mind.

For the newbie prairie dog shooters...

Wonder if instead of making scope adjustments or holdovers in the PD town, if it would help if they would just have a separate rifle dedicated and so marked for each distance they might shoot ?

For example, sight-in one rifle for 200 yards and label it. Another rifle for 300 yards, another for 400 yards, and another for 500 yards. Clearly label each rifle. Actually shoot each rifle for group and sight-in at the specified ranges. Don't estimate it from tables using 100 yard sight-in.

Your actual average group size at the longer distances might humble you.

Holdovers for intermediate ranges would still be used but would be of less magnitude.

Would still need Kentucky windage.

Some would argue that modern scopes with their fantastic windage/elevation repeatability negate the need for this. Am not arguing the repeatability of the scopes. It is the human mind and its ability to remember what cumulative adjustments they have made that concerns me.

Dennis
10-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I you want the rifles and carry all of them while hunting, GO FOR IT! However, with todays high end scopes, swarvoski, Night Force, and reticles with ballistic calculators will elimate the need for 4 rifles! I adjust my scope turrents all the time and there on the money!

jlcpls
10-18-2009, 08:52 PM
I adjust my scope turrents all the time and there on the money!

What of the bearers and porters that you callously put out of work by not giving them weapons to tend in between kills.

Unless you keep them on the payroll for other functions, you are endangering the economy.

kkeene
10-18-2009, 09:09 PM
A "varmint hunter" type reticle is your friend in a prairie dog town! It has both windage and elevation aiming points depending on distance and wind. Zero the scope at 200 yards and go shooting. Pick a light recoiling caliber like 223 or 204 (one of my favorites) and you can spot your hits and misses. If you miss simply adjust your aim by picking another holdover point in the scope. Note that a mil dot is better than a plex reticle, but they are not as flexible as a Leupold varmint hunter or Zeiss Rapid Z in my opinion.

When you are first starting shooting at dogs I found it was better to not mix different calibers on the same shoot. It is hard to learn multiple trajectories and wind drift at the same time you are leaning how to judge distance and wind effects.

Have fun helping the farmers out!

Keith

Fjold
10-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Hammer, put down the bottle and slowly back away from the table. You've had enough.

Hammer
10-18-2009, 09:43 PM
My suggestion has nothing to do with the quality or repeatability of scope settings. It has to do with the cumulative effect of unremembered scope adjustments.

Have Leupold and Nightforce scopes with the various fancy new reticles. But they don't really look appropriate on a High Wall 219 Donaldson Wasp with set trigger.

epmn
10-18-2009, 10:13 PM
On the range card draw the turret markings for zero, assuming that there are turret markings. Or, run the turret to the bottom and note the number of clicks up to zero. When confused on what the range setting is, go back to zero and start over.

epmn

dcloco
10-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Hammer - so, in effect, you want us to start posting REASONS why you need a new Donaldson Wasp and a new scope for you to print and show your significant other? Done.

It is SOOOO much easier to pick up another rifle when the vermin are at different distances. Spend less money on ammo, components, reloading equipment........wait a minute..... LOL!

BrentWin
10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/brentwin/girl50cal.jpg

"Your 62 yd. rifle is dialed in and ready for you Mr. Hammer. Will there be anything else?"

Dennis
10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
"Your 62 yd. rifle is dialed in and ready for you Mr. Hammer. Will there be anything else?"

I like the scope on that rifle, Nightforce has many options for your situation, use one caliper, and make a cheat sheet card for your distance adjustments! It's easier than you think unless you hunt at night a lot!

Bad Water Bill
10-20-2009, 09:03 AM
That rifle would only work for female P dog pups at very close range ( less than 50 yds ) for Hammer. :) :)

Hammer
10-20-2009, 10:22 AM
My youngest son likes a KelTec for very short range prairie dogs.

He has used both the 32 and the 380 with success.

Likes the 380 better for wind bucking resistance and better knock down power on the bulls.

desertdog
10-20-2009, 08:04 PM
thanks,now i have to get 10 more rifles to see if it works! lol! 8) dd

doegirl
10-29-2009, 10:41 PM
This topic does not apply to those who routinely shoot prairie dogs at distances over 300 yards. Y'all don't need no one messing with your mind.

For the newbie prairie dog shooters...

Wonder if instead of making scope adjustments or holdovers in the PD town, if it would help if they would just have a separate rifle dedicated and so marked for each distance they might shoot ?

For example, sight-in one rifle for 200 yards and label it. Another rifle for 300 yards, another for 400 yards, and another for 500 yards. Clearly label each rifle. Actually shoot each rifle for group and sight-in at the specified ranges. Don't estimate it from tables using 100 yard sight-in.

Your actual average group size at the longer distances might humble you.

Holdovers for intermediate ranges would still be used but would be of less magnitude.

Would still need Kentucky windage.

Some would argue that modern scopes with their fantastic windage/elevation repeatability negate the need for this. Am not arguing the repeatability of the scopes. It is the human mind and its ability to remember what cumulative adjustments they have made that concerns me.

I like that idea :) I only have one varmint rifle. I've never shot prairie dogs before, therefore, I'm a newbie. Instead of having to remember and know the necessary scope adjustments and holdover, like you said, just pick up rifle A,B,C or D and deal with less information to process at any given time. Plus, it gives me an excellent excuse to buy more guns. Thank you, Hammer ;)

Three44s
11-01-2009, 10:12 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/brentwin/girl50cal.jpg

Me thinks this poor las will need her very own sliver picker if she really touches that .50 off ..........

....... I volunteer for that job!

Three 44s