PDA

View Full Version : where to get extra long Action Screws?

Fiend
02-09-2011, 03:20 AM
upgraded to aftermarket stock and front action screw on my 110 "2-screw" doesn't quiet reach.. "after pillar bedding" ::) tried getting ahold of SSS to see if they had any extra long screw sets and they haven't answered phone or emails in 3 days so... anywhere else that has a 1.4 or longer front screw... all can find in local ace hardware is flathead or socket head I want a Hex/Allen head in stainless steel. I torque my stock to ensure poi stays within tolerance I due my from action screw at 30 inch lbs and my rear at 15-20 inch lbs and I get consistent grouping. I can't really torque a flathead bolt a they love to strip the slot and socket headed bolts how the heck would I get a socket to fit in the action screw hole...

the current screw only puts about 3-4 threads into the action I can get about 8 threads into the action without it hitting to bolt so basically if I use my current screw I'm only using half the threads and it doesn't seem like a good idea with about 3/16 of threads

thunderchief
02-09-2011, 09:22 AM
I know that Brownells has Extra Long Action screws for the Remington 700 in a nickel plated steel. It is more of a matte finish nickel plate. They also have a SS set for the 700 but one of the screws is WAY too short. I picked up both sets and decided to go with the nickel ones for my application. I like the SS ones better but I would have to buy two sets to get the lengths I need. The screws for the 700 and 10/ 110's are the same as far as thread pitch and diameter are concerned. Numrich gun parts might have the screws you need to for a factory application. Just get two of the longer ones and cut them down to what you need. I have found SS screws "aftermarket" but the screw heads are always too big and it is a pain to trim them to size. Hope this helps a little, good luck with your search!

jo191145
02-09-2011, 09:53 AM
http://www.boltdepot.com/Catalog.aspx?wt.srch=1&wt.mc_id=bd&type=SN

I've run into the same problem with aftermarket stocks occasionally.

I ordered a box full of assorted sizes to give me a lifetime supply ;D

I'll grind the length down to fit. I ordered a few nuts also to help chase the threads after grinding.
Found its not really necessary but it does'nt hurt.

khuff
02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Just use the action screws for a wood stock they are longer than the ones for synthetic, Brownells has them.

Like the others said you can use standard 1/4"x28 (NF) hex or phillps socket head machine screws as well, True Value or Ace will have them.

If the screws and action are of different metals use milk of magnesia (plain favor only) or anti-seize to coat the threads so there is no reaction.

bigcatdaddy
02-09-2011, 11:53 AM
got mine on Fleabay...cheaper than Brownells or Midway

thunderchief
02-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I didn't think of that. Fleabay. I will have to remember that for next time...

Forester
02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
I ordered a handful of 1/4-28 Stainless Steel hex head bolts from Fastenal and just cut them off to whatever length I need. If the threads get nicked up when cutting i just run a die down them to clean them up.