PDA

View Full Version : savage 10 barrel change?

conley82
02-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Im about to get my first savage and am learning a lot about them on here but still need help. Im getting a 10xp chambered in 22-250 and want to know how hard it is to swap barrels. I would like to have a few different calibers like 243 and 308 especially if I can use the same platform for all of them. Any info is appreciated. Thanks guys

BoilerUP
02-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Its not difficult at all.

You'll need a barrel nut wrench and a 308 go-gage (no-go gage wouldn't hurt, but isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary). An action wrench will make things easier, but I use notched hardwood barrel blocks & a shop vise to hold the barrel in place and while it doesn't qo quite as quick breaking the nut loose initially, it does work pretty well.

Then you start looking at new stocks, triggers, optics, etc....

Be careful, Savage rifles are cheaper than cocaine, but just as addictive ;)

conley82
02-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks for that info. My rifle is the 10xp with the brush camp fisish. Can this work be done without damage to the finish or should I look into another rifle to play with for building?

BoilerUP
02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
In my experience, its possible that the finish on your barrel nut could get slightly marred up around the grooves...but no, there shouldn't be any significant damage to the weapon. You'll want to use care putting the nut wrench on the nut; if you don't you might slightly scratch the finish on the barrel.

Disclaimer: both my swaps thus far were blued receivers with blued or stainless barrels

conley82
02-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I thought I should be able to as long as I am careful. I just don't know enough about them yet. I am enjoying learning about them. This is the first rifle I have ever bought brand new and don't want to mess it up. Thanks again for your input

02-08-2011, 04:50 PM
I find that running a cleaning patch between my nut wrench and the barrel works great to slide the nut wrench up to the nut without scratching the barrel.

conley82
02-08-2011, 05:02 PM
I find that running a cleaning patch between my nut wrench and the barrel works great to slide the nut wrench up to the nut without scratching the barrel.

Thanks for the tip.

northlander
02-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Conley82,
If your new Savage Model 10 is one of the Accu-Stock Actions you are limiting yourself on your options for stock and recoil lug options. If you have not already purchased your rifle you may want to look into that portion of your rifle prior to purchase. There are still several of the more traditional Savage Actioned rifles out there.

Most of the newer camo finished Savage Rifles are the newer Accu-Stock versions. Just be aware of what you are buying and the limitations that are associated with the Accu-Stock models.

Jim Briggs
NSS

conley82
02-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Jim. Thanks for the info but im pretty sure that it is not accu stock. I will check savage website since I don't have it in hand just on lay a way. Also I emailed you about purchasing a barrel in 243..

mdharris68
02-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Conley82,
If your new Savage Model 10 is one of the Accu-Stock Actions you are limiting yourself on your options for stock and recoil lug options. If you have not already purchased your rifle you may want to look into that portion of your rifle prior to purchase. There are still several of the more traditional Savage Actioned rifles out there.

Most of the newer camo finished Savage Rifles are the newer Accu-Stock versions. Just be aware of what you are buying and the limitations that are associated with the Accu-Stock models.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Hi, new to the forum and found this interesting.

I have the 10PC with accustock/trigger and a smooth nut on this gun. Am I to understand that I have less options when it comes to re-barreling this gun? Are you familiar with another forum topic that explains this more thoroughly?

Mark

redraven72
02-15-2011, 07:11 PM
I have a question about changing the barrels? Will the model 110 barrel work in a model 10. I ask because I can't find any model 10 barrels.

Thanks

bootsmcguire
02-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Model number makes little difference to what barrel will fit what, Caliber and action type have more to do with it. The two digit serial numbers (10,11,12,14,16) are all short actions. The three digit numbers (110,111,112,114,116) are all Long actions. Most if not all Short Action calibers will fit in the long action, but the Long action calibers will ussually not fit in the SA except possibly as a Single Shot. What you have to worry the most is proper bolt head and shank size. Most Savages have the Small shank barrel threads, but the Precision Target Actions and all the RUM, WSM, SAUM, etc. made by Savage are almost always Large Shank Barrels. Of course you also want to have the proper bolt head, but ussually those are easily changed if needed, but if you are changing heads it is probable that you will need to change magazines and followers.

Basicly, the 110 barrels will fit all the small shank models as long as you have the proper action length and bolt head.

Hope some of that rambling of information is a help. I probably made it sound more complicated than it really is.

redraven72
02-15-2011, 11:10 PM
So basically as long as it is a special magnum it should work correct?

bootsmcguire
02-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Pretty much as long as you are not choosing a caliber to switch to that uses a different bolt head or requires a longer action, yes.

What model do you have? and in what caliber? and what caliber do you wanna switch to?

redraven72
02-16-2011, 09:35 AM
I have a model 10 GXP3 in .308 and I was wanting to change it to a .22-250. But the barrel was off a model 110.

BoilerUP
02-16-2011, 11:00 AM
I have a model 10 GXP3 in .308 and I was wanting to change it to a .22-250. But the barrel was off a model 110.

You're good to go; both are short-action rounds that use a .473 bolt head.

Rock on with the 110 barrel...

redraven72
02-16-2011, 12:36 PM
AWESOME... Thanks. ;D

bootsmcguire
02-16-2011, 07:56 PM
yup, easy change.