PDA

View Full Version : Wenig stocks???

range rat
02-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Anybody have a Savage with a Wenig stock. I'm interested in the Lincoln silhouette thumbhole for my custom Savage build.

Blue Avenger
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
You have any info other then a name? I have not heard of them.

range rat
02-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Here's a link. http://www.wenig.com/

PSM207
02-06-2011, 08:55 AM
I bought a Wenig stock a few years ago with the intent of building a better fitting stock for my Ruger M77 tang safety 30.06. The inletting was not properly aligned, which resulted in the trigger guard and mag floorplate not lining up correctly with the action. I did not use this stock!

Eric in NC
02-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Superb stocks in my experience (Mauser, sporter Springfield, and M1 Garand stocks).

Never had anything resembling PSM207's experience.

laportecharlie
02-06-2011, 06:07 PM
I had Wenig's make a stock for my Kolar shotgun. This was about five years ago and it was one of the most interesting gun related experiences I have had. By arrangement I arrived at their shop at 8:00AM on a Friday and that afternoon I left with a new custom stock on my gun. I spent the day with a stockmaker who inletted my action into a "try" stock and then bondo-ed it up to fit me. When he was happy with the fit he turned me over to the shop superintendent who checked it out and made a couple of alterations. When He was happy he turned me over to Fred Wenig himself. Only when Fred Wenig was satisfied with the fit did the try stock go to the duplicating machine along with the blank I had selected. When the new stock was inletted for my action and sealed the shop superintendent and I went to his house where he had a hand trap mounted in the back of an old pickup truck. He threw about twenty-five clay targets for me to shoot to see how it worked for me. When we got back to the shop he told me to take it home and shoot it for a month or two and then send it back with any changes I wanted and then they would checker it and finish the wood.. The whole time I was there I was treated like family. As you might guess, this was not a cheap process but I feel it was well worth the money spent.
I heard recently that Wenig's has been sold and is under new ownership.
Charlie