PDA

View Full Version : Did Savage recently change the Stevens 200 stock?

DSinOR
02-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I just bought a Stevens 200 .223.

Before buying it, I had already read about the flex forearm issue, and how some guys stiffen it up.

To be honest, mine doesn't seem like it has much flex. It feels pretty stiff.

Did Savage come out with a new stock design?

Thx.

68injunhed
02-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Well, I just got one of these from Academy, and while there isn't an obvious "noodle" effect, if you slap the forearm with any force at all, it hits the barrel. They make these stocks on an old mold snagged from the Savage line, so I doubt they replaced it. Your idea of flexing might not be the same as other people's.

That being said, I am planning on bedding some 3/16" titanium rods in the forend, as well as around the lug area.

hotbrass
02-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Put a bipod on it and you will see how flexible it is.

DSinOR
02-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I've read several different threads on the stiffening mod: arrow shafts, bar stock, aluminum rods etc.

Has anyone done this mod where the stiffening rods extend underneath the recoil lug area?

Link?

8)

Carvera
02-05-2011, 09:39 PM
They must have a few molds over there, because I have noticed that the stocks have changed quite a bit. Now whether they're any better is debatable? They definitely have different mold lines, and recoil pads on the newer ones than the older style ones.

68injunhed
02-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I epoxied the 3/16 titanium rods in mine last night. Went from the very end of the forearm to the last compartment before the recoil lug. Notched the internal ribs so the rods would fit all the way down in, right against the outer edges of the stock, and filled with epoxy to the level of the ribs. BIG difference. Although I would still be a little hesitant to use a bipod, the twisting is basically gone, unless you really try to gorilla grip it, and the offhand feel is much more solid.

BTW, 3 of the LocTite syringe type epoxy packages fill the voids perfectly. It seems to feel a tiny bit heavier, although I like the balance.

jonbearman
02-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Wouldnt after buying titanium rods and all the epoxy be easier and just get a duramaxx? It is a realitively sturdy stock and sells for cheap in comparison to a hs precision,mcmillan etc.Kevin Rayhills stocks sell out of the mold for 225.00 for some of his versions and only need sansing and filling and paint.

68injunhed
02-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Wouldnt after buying titanium rods and all the epoxy be easier and just get a duramaxx? It is a realitively sturdy stock and sells for cheap in comparison to a hs precision,mcmillan etc.Kevin Rayhills stocks sell out of the mold for 225.00 for some of his versions and only need sansing and filling and paint.

If B&C made a drop-in centerfeed SA stock it might. And the titanium rods I grabbed from the scrap bin at work. Being a machinist has its perks sometimes.

$20 for materials and a couple hours of my time doesn't quite equate to a $250 stock. Kinda makes the $180 rifle look much less attractive when you start throwing that kind of cash at it. If I was gonna spend that much for a second deer rifle, I would have just bought a Savage with the better stuff already there from the factory.

Terry Balding
02-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I've read several different threads on the stiffening mod: arrow shafts, bar stock, aluminum rods etc.

Has anyone done this mod where the stiffening rods extend underneath the recoil lug area?

Link?

8)

I have filled the cavities of the Savage black Tupperware stocks with epoxy. It dose help. But it's not as good
as a Bell & Carlson stock.

Corsica Coatings
02-07-2011, 09:12 AM
I've done 3, two with epoxy and a 3/8" steel rod and one with Bondo. All are better, but not great and the one with just bondo is pretty much the same as the other two....will not twist very much and keeps barrel clearance when placed on a rest. Haven't tried a bipod yet.

DSinOR
02-08-2011, 12:12 PM
I started this thread after removing the stock and torquing on it a bit to see if it felt flexible. That's the wrong approach, obviously.

I reassembled the rifle last night, and I can confirm that it is way too easy to cause the forearm to contact the barrel.

If a guy uses a sling-wrap around his lead arm to stabilize prone or other shots, this stock would present problems.

I'd be quick to agree with some of the other posts here - buying a $200 stock for a $300 rifle makes little sense and flies in the face of good ol' American DIY-ism. I will say however that Savage should have designed a better stock, even for this cheapy rifle.

On sale here (Oregon), this rifle costs $299. Can you really buy it for $180 somewhere else? Ouch.

Anyway - thanks for the feedback.

There's not a lot of room for insertion of tools etc, but I'm going to start by trying to drill underneath the recoil lug step to anchor 2 rods back there.

hotbrass
02-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Yes, I bought the last one for $179 and two before that for $199 ea.

I have restocked all my rifles. In my eyes it is the action that I was after. It IS a Savage action inside and out. Why not spend a few hundred on a good stock??? And trigger and scope?

By buying a "Stevens" you have saved many hundreds of dollars by not buying a "Savage." Enjoy the saving and get a great stock, trigger, and scope, and you will have a great shooter.

You cant buy a plain action for $179, or $199!

68injunhed
02-08-2011, 06:11 PM
On sale here (Oregon), this rifle costs $299. Can you really buy it for $180 somewhere else? Ouch.

Ya, Academy Sports and Outdoors, a regional chain store, had the 7mm-08's and .270's recently on a price drop for 179.99. The regular price is only 249.99 though. ;D

I've seen on this and other forums that as the news made its way around the net, a bunch of guys that have Academy stores in their areas made a run on them. I doubt they even have any left in most stores. I got the last 7'08 in my local store.

hotbrass
02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Thats where I got mine.

classic.rocker978
02-09-2011, 03:16 AM
Well... I'm jealous. I would LOVE a stevens 200 for less than $200. Sadly they are all $320 round here.

DSinOR
02-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I lived in Houston for a few years back in the 90's.

Academy was a great store then, and apparently still is. Wish we had 'em up here.

jwpark
02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
You cant buy a plain action for $179, or $199!

The cheapest I get a Stevens action is from Jim @ NSS for $235

GaCop
02-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Got my 270 Stevens 200 at Academy Sports in Macon Ga. a month ago. I've been playing with the rifle testing 270 handloads and have gotten some surprising groups at 100 yards (.409") with the Sierra 115 gr BTHP designed for the 6.8 Rem SPC. The trigger on mine is horrendous at around 8 lbs but it still manages to shoot good groups. I dropped mine into a glass bedded walnut stock from a previous project.

Mine will soon be morphed into a Criterion barreled 6.5X47.

hotbrass
02-10-2011, 12:00 PM
My .270 also gets fantastic sub moa groups with cheap Monarch ammo, and consistient cold bore first shot accuracy. It is amazing! And out of a factory sporter barrel!

Slowpoke Slim
02-10-2011, 09:48 PM
A big +1 on wishing there was an Academy store near me! I would probably buy 2 or 3 Stevens at the $179 price if I could...

:'( :'(

I only have one Stevens currently. It is my walking around varminter. It's still completely original, except I DID stone the mating surfaces on the trigger to get all the burrs off and backed the tension screw off a bit. Huge difference in the trigger, it's now only around 3.5 to 4 pounds, and more importantly the creep is gone.

Mine's a .223. Here's 5 shots @ 100 yards with a cold, clean barrel. Complete with factory Savage "squishy stock".

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/slowpokeslim/P1050365.jpg

I don't really shoot this gun much at the range. I had been considering swapping the barrel to a 6x47 (222 Rem Mag), until I shot that group. Now I don't even want to take it apart to camo it!

The stock doesn't bother me, and it doesn't affect the accuracy near as I can tell. I DON'T use a bipod, but that is my personal preference, nothing to do with the stock or not. Just don't like bipods. Seen way too many guys jacking around with their bipod and missing shots. Again, personal preference. Maybe if I WAS using a bipod, I'd be concerned about the fore end flexing.

I'd still like to build up a 6x47 also, but I think my .223 is working pretty well as is.