PDA

View Full Version : 6ppc bolt face

yorketransport
02-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Is SSS the only place that sells a PPC bolt face?

Andrew

geargrinder
02-05-2011, 03:58 AM
That's the only place I've heard, but I'd be willing to be Stockade makes them as well.

HankC
02-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Would that be the same bolt face as 7.62x39? Now Savage has a factory 7.62x39 rifle, they may offer bolt head as well.

Blue Avenger
02-05-2011, 11:39 AM
If you know a competent smith, start with a .223 head and spin it out. then fit an extractor.

82boy
02-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Yes, SSS is the only company that I know of that makes PPC bolt faces, they open up a 223 bolt head to PPc dimensions. Yes, a 7.62x39 bolt head is the same, and I am not sure who is selling this bolt head, I am also not sure that Savage is making a special bolt head for this, they may be using a standard bolt head and a special extractor. This works too, as some BR guys order a BR bolt face (There is a difference between a BR and a 308 in custom actions, it has to do with the extractor.) on there custom actions so they can switch between the two.

I would also argue that from what I have seen in the past Savage has a problem holding the dimensions right on bolt heads, heck do a search and see how many people are complaining that there gun has problems ejecting shells, it is predominate in 22/250, and 6BR calibers, the problem is from out of speck bolt heads. It would be quite possible that if they are making a PPC bolt head it is out of speck, and it may have problems. I have never heard of anyone owning a 7.62x39 gun yet, nor have I seen one, to know what they did, and if there is any problems. You could get by using a standard bolt fact with a custom ejector, but you are in the same boat, SSS is the only company I know of that makes a PPC extractor, and who's to say that the standard bolt head is in speck, and you may still have ejection problems.

One thing I can say for sure is the SSS PPC bolt head is in speck, and will eject the cases.

yorketransport
02-05-2011, 12:48 PM
quote author=Blue Avenger link=topic=39559.msg274921#msg274921 date=1296920375]
If you know a competent smith, start with a .223 head and spin it out. then fit an extractor.
[/quote]
I talked to a few of the local smiths and they told me I'd just be wasting my time with a PPC on a Savage, so they wouldn't even bother opening up the bolt face. ::)

Ejection isn't a big concern for me, only extraction. I considered just using a standard bolt face, but I don't want to start skimping on the quality of the build.

I'm still having a heck of a time deciding between the 6PPC and the 6BR, and the availability of a PPC bolt face could be a deciding factor. The PPC was my top pick until I found out that a local club holds an informal 600yd BR match once a month. From what I've learned, when you get past 300yds, the 6BR starts to show the edge over the PPC, so the BR may be a better choice.

Andrew

82boy
02-05-2011, 01:07 PM
All I can say is don't give up on the PPC, It is ONE AWESOME ROUND! The PPC is most definitely not a wast on a Savage, you are talking to ignorant gunsmiths that are Remington based. Ask them is a 6PPC is a wast on a Remington, and then ask them why is it a wast on a Savage. Give SSS a call they may have PPC bolt heads in stock, and could ship out very fast.

The 6BR is a good round out at 600, depending on what twist rate you go the PPC can go that far too. Most people that shoot the PPC shoot a 1 in 14 twist, you could go with a fast twist. I talked to Joe Krupa once on the phone and he told me he uses a fast twist 6PPC on light African game. I guess you have to decide on what you plan on shooting more of, short range (100-300 yards) the 6PPC is king, the BR just doesn't preform like it. At mid range (600 yards) the BR would be the cartridge I would pick. With that said a 6PPC should have a 1 in 13 or 14 twist, and a 6BR should have a 1 in 8.

Blue Avenger
02-05-2011, 02:31 PM
quote author=Blue Avenger link=topic=39559.msg274921#msg274921 date=1296920375]

I talked to a few of the local smiths and they told me I'd just be wasting my time with a PPC on a Savage, so they wouldn't even bother opening up the bolt face. ::)
[/quote]

Any good machinist can do it if you give them the dimensions you want. Really not that hard.

Carvera
02-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I have personally seen that the SSS extractor can, and often does need a little bit of tweaking in order to work on a PPC bolt head (that at one time was a .223 bolt head). Now one might insinuate that the gunsmith who opened up the bolthead didn't do it to "spec", but I would argue that matter. The PPC bolt head can be a little tricky, but they are doable. I know of folks who use them in their Savage's and have great success.

I am glad that SSS offers the extractor, but you may still run into problems. You might try different extractor springs, and oversized ball and see if that helps. I would assume buying a complete PPC bolthead from SSS would get some extra attention needed in order to make sure that it will function correctly for their consumers. I have never bought one, so I can't comment on how theirs works.

When Savage puts out their 7.62X39 rifle, places like Midway will be quick to jump on and purchase these to sell on their site. I wonder when that takes place if they will also have special extractor parts that need to be purchased in order for the bolt head to work as it should?

yorketransport
02-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Well, I wimped out and went witht the 6BR instead of the PPC. I tried all morning to reach SSS to ask about the PPC bolt head but I didn't have any luck. Then when Benchmark Barrels called me back to finalize my barrel order, I cracked under the pressure and just went with the BR. ;) I still want to try the PPC, but maybe I'll do it the easy way and just buy a used benchrest rifle and go from there.

For the record, I ended up ordering a 19", stainless, straight taper to .900, 3 groove, 7.5" twist barrel from Benchmark. They're going to send it off for the ferric nitirade finish (mostly because it looks cool). Now to begin waiting. ::)

Andrew

sinman
02-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Opening up a 223 bolt head is no trouble and is defiantly not a waste on a savage.

racinready300ex
02-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Well, I wimped out and went witht the 6BR instead of the PPC. I tried all morning to reach SSS to ask about the PPC bolt head but I didn't have any luck. Then when Benchmark Barrels called me back to finalize my barrel order, I cracked under the pressure and just went with the BR. ;) I still want to try the PPC, but maybe I'll do it the easy way and just buy a used benchrest rifle and go from there.

For the record, I ended up ordering a 19", stainless, straight taper to .900, 3 groove, 7.5" twist barrel from Benchmark. They're going to send it off for the ferric nitirade finish (mostly because it looks cool). Now to begin waiting. ::)

Andrew

I would just work up 2 loads, one with 105-108 BT bullets for the 600 yard shoots, and on with some 80 gr. FB bullets for the short range stuff.