PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Brass

Pages : 1 [2]

Eric in NC
10-19-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm fairly sure that work hardening requires actual "work" as in moving metal around. I don't think scrubbing all the "other than brass" off the outside of a case is moving any metal around.

Nope - tumbling brass actually "works" the brass and moves metal around. You are not thinking about the other pieces of brass that hit a given piece of brass 100's of times a minute. A zillion small hits equals a few big hits.

It does alter neck dimensions and harden brass - if you don't believe if, FL size some good brass and sit 50 pieces in your tumbler for 8-12 hours then seat bullets and compare that with a piece that wasn't tumbled.

Really ran into this when I was a newb and thought shiny was better - I had some milsurp 30-06 that had annealing "stains" on neck and shoulder. Tumbled them long enough to get that off - reduced neck diameter and made the brass HARD.

Forester
10-20-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm fairly sure that work hardening requires actual "work" as in moving metal around. I don't think scrubbing all the "other than brass" off the outside of a case is moving any metal around.

Nope - tumbling brass actually "works" the brass and moves metal around. You are not thinking about the other pieces of brass that hit a given piece of brass 100's of times a minute. A zillion small hits equals a few big hits.

It does alter neck dimensions and harden brass - if you don't believe if, FL size some good brass and sit 50 pieces in your tumbler for 8-12 hours then seat bullets and compare that with a piece that wasn't tumbled.

Really ran into this when I was a newb and thought shiny was better - I had some milsurp 30-06 that had annealing "stains" on neck and shoulder. Tumbled them long enough to get that off - reduced neck diameter and made the brass HARD.

Very interesting, I have a great shooting .308Win with a McGowen barrel and some new Lapua Brass I will have to do some testing with.

GaCop
10-21-2009, 06:23 AM
I clean my benchrest brass with "Never Dull". Works fast and really puts a nice polish on even the worst oxidized brass.

Appleseed
10-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Great info as usual, thanks.

gaetoune
10-23-2009, 07:29 AM
I tried something last month and it worked great. I had a 1000 maybe more reounds of 9mm brass picked from the range. I don't own a tumbler so had to try something to clean it and here's what was suggested:

-Warm water
-Couple drop of diah soap
-1/2 cup of lemon juice (concentrate)

I dumped all the cases in a tub add the water, dish soap and lemon juice, shake a bit let stand 5 min, reshake again and so on for about an hour. To my surprise the cases came out surprisingly clean, even some looking almost new. This from brass picked outside at the range.

To finish you have to dry the cases, this is where it becomes a pain in the butt!!!! The guy who gave me the trick throws the brass in his old lady dryer, myself I would do this and probably end up whith no dryer and no old Lady...LOL :'(.... So I am lucky at work we have an industrial air dryer for parts inspection I put them all in there. I am thinking putting you brass in the oven at low setting and turning them around once in a while would work.

Cheers
Gaetoune

Appleseed
10-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Tried the wax scrub... nice.

Worked during college in a musical instrument repair shop, mostly brass and silver fabrication, shaping, buffing and finishing. Some brasses work harden quickly from contact with mandrel or hammer or manipulation or buffing. Have seen some high end instruments quickly fissure crack.

After trying the polish and corncob, may try some shaved Tripoli buffing compound into the cob mixture. Rouge is a great finish compound but requires degreasing.

R1
10-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Wash with hot soapy water after resizing, rinse, and allow to dry. Soak in Iosso liquid cleaner for a couple of minutes, rinse and let dry. Polish with corncob media/Iosso polish for about an hour. Brass will look like new.

Woodser
10-29-2009, 11:02 AM
WOW! I thought I was the only reloader on the planet that used hot water, dish soap and lemon juice to clean his cases. I dry my cases in a electric skillet set on the lowest setting, too. Takes about 1/2 hour instead of the 24 hours air drying takes.

5spd
11-13-2009, 11:43 PM
WOW! I thought I was the only reloader on the planet that used hot water, dish soap and lemon juice to clean his cases. I dry my cases in a electric skillet set on the lowest setting, too. Takes about 1/2 hour instead of the 24 hours air drying takes.

Can I get some bacon with those shells??...... :D

I use Lemi Shine from wallysworld. Powder dishwasher cleaner/aditive, table spoon to a bowl and set for 15-20 min. Gets them nice & clean.

Doug B.
11-14-2009, 06:36 AM
With what you are doing your brass is getting clean just not "shiny". All good except "looks pretty". Everyone knows shiny brass shoots better though.

To get it shiny you need some kind of liquid polish (any will do).

I don't agree. Polishes with ammonia WILL eventually harm the brass. Nu Finish does not contain ammonia.

JCalhoun
11-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Most all chemical cleaners (including home brews) will contain either an acid or an alkyline substance as it's active incredient. Both will eventually damage the brass.

The only ways to clean and polish brass will be with abrasives (removes material physically) or corrosives (removes material chemically).

The question is how much can you do before the case is damaged beyond use?